Decoy Killers...

Shawn Linn

Just wondering when is it time to stop taking a friend duck hunting with you due to habit of laying waste to your decoy spread with his shotgun? I started pulling my decoys out to do a few touch ups and repairs before the season and what i found is disturbing. I just repainted my little E-Allen buffy spread last year and I found that not one decoys made it through the season untouched by steel. One day last year I saw my friend miss a hen buffy three times, but rock a decoy on each of his shots. He also shot a Vessie black duck at first light because it was swimming like a duck.

here are a few of the victims View attachment ouch.jpgView attachment ouch2.jpg
View attachment stringer.jpg

Hope Lou will forgive me for this repair:
View attachment bill.jpg

I will be starting this season hunting over only hand carved decoys. Some are around $75, most are $100 -150 and a few at $300+. There are no warnings. If I have to warn you, I shouldn't be hunting with you.....

Shawn

I have 3 rules when someone hunts with me!
DONT SHOOT my decoys , my dog or me!

Well Not the dog or decoys .

are you saying he thinks he is shooting at ducks on the water that have just landed?

Or trying to shoot cripples he had hit but not killed

if its number 2- a dog is the answer

if its number 1 - a new hunting partner is the answer

IMHO

Rick, he usually is trying #1 or a passing bird JD usually handles the cripples until they get too far away and then we run the boat.

Mike, I bought one decoy this year that would result in the shooter walking home from the middle of the marsh. Usually just my foam divers get nailed.

Doug,
My rule as it related to foam divers was a stray pellet is forgiven, but I think he has taken that to mean he does not have to try to miss the decoys.
Dog rule is a given. There is only one other human I trust to shoot near my dog and that is Rich Young, not this guy.
I am not forgiving enough if you shoot me!

James, Now the tricky part this thoughtful friend bought half of the the 30hp E-Tec that hangs on the back of my DB-15.....

The decoy killer I hunt with will always be welcome. He has been known to break the tails off my dekes as well. That sais I still love him and he is a good son.

The decoy killer I hunt with will always be welcome. He has been known to break the tails off my dekes as well. That sais I still love him and he is a good son.

I think he got some pellets in one of my plastic whistlers last year, but that was still a good day. He definitely was not the first . . . .

Had a good buddy that took me out after my return from the military. Shot over a nice cork rig, after not killing any of the rig he brought out his prize cedar rig to gun over.
Some don't realize the time and love put into a rig...

Not many people hunt there decoys as hard as we do. We run 6-8 dozen handmade cork and wood decoys on longlines with the layout. We don't aim for the decoys however if the birds are doing what they should and we are waiting for the best shots, decoys get hit. I'm proud to say with our crew the decoys take their fair share of shot in a season.

I had someone tell me once that if anyone (friends or acquaintances) he hunted with ever shot his decoys, especially his hand carved decoys that he bought, he'd punch them in the face. Punch someone in the face over decoys. No offense is meant here, but decoys are THINGS. They're inanimate objects. Yes some are VERY expensive, the carvers put a lot of effort into them and many are works of art that I could only hope to come close to creating only in my wildest dreams. But they're still things. If you have decoys that you treasure that you don't want them to possibly even be shot, don't take them. Or leave them next to you in the boat if you must take them. Or take them only when you're hunting with them so that any stray shot is on you. There are situations where we don't have a dog with us, like layout hunting or warm weather hunting in FL on big, deep alligator waters. Or the cripple is so lively that we wouldn't send a dog (remembering a strong current Puget Sound surf scoter that we chased probably a mile and shot at way too many times in our efforts to try to kill the cripple, which we eventually did before sending Mike). Even with a dog we try to kill the cripples before sending him. Not always possible but we do try. We do try to wait for the bird to not be in the decoys, or make the effort towait for an opening where we won't shoot the decoys but nor do we want a bird to go off and die slowly.

If you think he's consistently shooting the decoys on purpose then that's one thing. I wouldn't punch someone in the face over it but if I thought someone was deliberately shooting my rig up (plastic or otherwise), then I might not hunt with them anymore, but only after a good long conversation about it and giving him another chance. Or I'd just hunt with them over THEIR rig. Then I don't care if they get bored and wanna shoot their decoys all day long.

But nor am I going to toss away my friends and hunting buddies for shooting my decoys in the course of hunting or in trying to prevent something from dying a slow death. I'd have no friends or hunting buddies if I did that. Heck, can you imagine what I would've had to come up with when somewhere along the way the blueyed teal that Lee Harker carved me (probably one of my most treasured decoys) dropped off Steve's bike on our three mile trek in to our hunting spot? I was mighty disappointed and really worried I'd never see her again but I sure as heck wasn't going to punch him or hate him or never hunt with him again or throw away an excellent friendship over it. And losing her was waaaaaay worse than if she'd been shot. Luckily we found her on the ride back out and no one had taken her home.

Just my .02. If you think he's a good friend and hunting buddy.....breathe in, breathe out and move on. Decoys can be fixed. Good friends and hunting buddies can be very hard to find.

Dani

Take a junk decoy, put it in the water and tell your friend to have at it. Then for every other decoy he shoots, he owes you a beer/drink/burger/steak/crab cake whatever. I don't hunt over expensive decoys nor do I put much time into maintaining mine other than the occasional cleaning so if someone shoots mine, I buy another. I'm with Dani, they are things. Think about your hunting buddy should he not hunt with you for whatever reason. Would he be missed? Would you tell the hunting tales of him shooting your decoy fondly or with anger. I bet somehow the story would have a funny slant.

Once again, I don't hunt over $300 decoys though.

Mark W

Nice lively subject....
Having a decoy you worked hard to make or acquire get shot is frustrating when it happens and when you have to fix them. In between those points in time however, are hours of great amusement at the expense of the shooter.
One of the reasons I hunt cork and wood decoys is that they don't sink or rattle if they get shot.
A couple of my favorite decoys are a Bluebill drake we nicknamed Chip, for obvious reasons, and one that wears a Priate's eye patch due to a hunting partner's wayward shot string.
I agree with Dani, hunting buddies are much more difficult to find and keep, than repairing a well hunted decoy.

Decoys get shot, You'all never shot one of your decoys by accident?
Stuff happens, so this is what you do... hunt by yourself...or get over it.

Another plus for plastic decoys! lol

Back