decoy line (single)

Eric,

I think Bob's son or sons have taken a larger role in the business. I always stop by his booth at the Pointe Mouillee Duck Hunters Tournament in Monroe Michigan. Crotchety old guy with a lot of knowledge to share and fun to talk to. All my mother lines, droppers and clips came from Bob. He also sold replacement heads for the Herter's decoys.

RVZ

I have used for the past 20 years , plain old cotton clothesline dipped in paint and strung out to dry on the fence for single line decoys. Bob at decoy rigs has top stuff. He is not to far from me and Ive picked up up supplies at his house. I have my multiple rig set ups from him. I always tape the tag ends of my knot at the decoy and the anchor to lessen the chance of snagging on anything in the boat. My lines are 4 feet or less and I never wrap them and never have a tangle. My anchors are 8 ounce mini muffin pan weights

Good morning, Rich~

I do not recall it ever floating. Only line I can remember floating is polypropylene - which I generally avoid for any use because of its tendency to "splinter" when worn.

All the best,

SJS

I dug out an old decoy and weight to show something different. Layout shooting in 6-10 foot of water we would use 1/4 Manila line that we spliced to the weight and decoy. The lines were 12 foot long. The four pound ring would go over the head and line was just laid down in the stool boat and not wrapped around the decoy. Tangles were very rare we could set out or pick up using 5 dozen decoys in two short drifts.

View attachment 3185DEEB-4D90-4FFF-B59B-AC279E06E4FA.jpeg

Eric Patterson said:
I have used quite a bit of this line over the years. Love it. I took the below picture so when I order more I can tell Bob exactly the line to send me. It is nice and stiff making it a joy to handle and wrap, does not tangle, takes to rigging knots, easy to clear a prop if fowled, and will last the entire life of whatever decoy you put it on. Also, this is used to rig my decoys that are boated to the hunting destination. If we are walking in the decoys are all Texas rigged with Husqvarna trimmer line. TX rigging is the best thing in decoy rigging in the past 30 years. Fastest way to set out and pick up.

Eric

I love all of Bob's line...

But my single lines are Texas rigged.. 400# mono

FYI

Just got off the phone with Bob at Decoy Rig's. He's still in business at a youthful 80 years old. I bought a 1000' spool of the line I pictured above. My son is always buying decoys and rigging them. I like to make sure they have a nice thick and stiff line for when I handle them.

Eric

Eric, Thanks' for posting about Bob. He is a great guy. I get to see him once a year at the Pointe Mouille waterfowl festival her in Michigan.

Cheers, Tom

Back