Decoy Painting

I was given a bunch of Herters Goose Decoys in serious need of a paint job. What kind of paint is recomended for styrofoam?

Capt.,
Our FME is fine for styrofoam......I've tested it and it does not harm the foam and all the colors are premixed for immediate use....no mixing. ;)
Let me know how we can be of service.
Lou
www.lockstockbarrell.com
scroll down to the FME color chart in red to check colors

Capt., I've re-painted herters foamers with rustoleum spray paint. It lasts a long time...............Kevin

DONT spray-paint them directly... You need a solid base coat first otherwise the spray-paint with eat the decoy bodies

DONT spray-paint them directly... You need a solid base coat first otherwise the spray-paint with eat the decoy bodies

My thoughts exactly. You would need a primer to protect the foam.

Thanks I'll give Lou Tish a call and get his paint. I was surprized about the spray pait . The guy who gave them to me said not to spray paint them. He tried it once and he watched the decoy disinigrate right in front of him

Capt. you would be right to get the paint from Lou. But I must say that I've re-painted mine several times with spray paint. First a primer then the color. They were never affected by the paint and the paint does not come off. I am a very ethical person and hunter who cares very much for the environment. And yes I'm offended by the accusations made............very offended!!!.....................Kevin

Seriously consider burlapping them first. Before I went to cork I had a couple dozen herters divers, they could not take the abuse at all. So I went ahead an had them burlaped, they will last forever then. I know there are many people that burlap them theirselves.

Good luck

read the labels on spray paint--if a laqueur base, it will likely turn the decoy into a puddle of goop--

I sent mine to the gentleman at toledo decoy, that was close to 8 years ago though, maybe someone has his contact info. Otherwise search back posts here or post a new question I know there are people who have done it themselves on this forum.

good luck

I am a very ethical person and hunter who cares very much for the environment. And yes I'm offended by the accusations made............very offended!!!.....................Kevin

First off I am sorry for Highjacking the thread but I assume you are talking about my signature... Where is an accusation being made? That isn't directed at you or anyone else I just like the quote from Grayson

Last edited:
Good enough Hank. Maybe I took it the wrong way............No hard feelings.

Capt. I could not find it on Cabelas site either, sorry. I purchased a kit from them about 5 years ago.............Maybe it is a seasonal item...............or maybe I got it when Herters was still in business, can't remember. Do a post search on this site. There have been guys who have done it here...............Kevin

As I understand it, Cabelas is done with Herters DIY, and maybe all the product lines. There is a thread on this site about that as well, but the bargain cave is getting pretty thin...I expect things to start popping up on EBAY from those people smart enough to stock up (not me) on Herters decoy components.

The refuge also has a whole tutorial section on foam decoys - making, burlapping, painting etc...
It's hard to find, so here's the link:
http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=177416

I found it very helpful!

Dave

Capt. I have not done burlaping but have read several treads on it. My understanding of it you can get all the materials you need locally. Basically burlap and mastic. I would google burlaping decoys.

I painted syro decoys some years back. First thing I did was paint them with shellac. Let dry and paint them with what ever you want. The shellac seals the syro, waterproof and acts as a good base for any paint.

I did not know about the advantages of burlaping and if I were to do it again I would. Then I would get some of Lou's famous paint. They would be absolutely bullet proof. Some times that needed. hee hee

Back