deer hunting jacket?

Paul W

Needless to say, I'm hooked on deer hunting. That said:

Deer jackets: I'm thinking about buying the cabela's "wooltimate" one, just curious what you old fogeys like to use. I like this especially because they make it in a tall. I'd probably buy the wool bibs next year due to $$$ - if I can find a non-camo (but earth tone) similar product that is cheaper I'd happily buy it instead. Cabelas seems to make good clothes and waders, so I figured I'd try a jacket too. The hand me down I got from a hunting buddy is "swishy" and not warm at all.

http://www.cabelas.com/...266%26type%3Dproduct
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-men-s-wooltimate-trade-whitetail-parka-with-4most-windshear-trade-/1965265.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwooltimate%252Bparka%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=wooltimate+parka

6'4'' 260lbs

Thanks!!

Paul

Last edited:
A friend has that parka, he is very happy with it. Quiet and warm in the outfitter pattern. I think he paid 159.99 last Christmas. If I got the pants/bibs I would want the wind proof lining but no insulation .

I don't know anything about the Cabela's product, but there is one coat you will have for life and will always keep you warm-a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. They are not inexpensive, but nothing really good is.

I have a full set of the next grade up (not sure they have it anymore. Heavy wool, gore tex lined. I think the parka and bibs together are something like 14 pounds.

It is incredible.

Can't speak to this line though. They seem lighter weight.

I am a die hard bow hunter and in my honest opinion, Cabelas MT050 whitetail extreme is by far the best out there, but Sitka Gear is real close. That said it will lighten up the wallet a good bit.
Hope it helps.

Brian

Paul, You had to know I would toss in my .02. I just finished sewing in a new zipper in a 25 year old down parka that I wear almost all the time for cold weather hunting with a XXXL sweatshirt over it in the pattern of the day ie: blaze camo or winter camo or whatever. Long ago I had a dedicated deer hunting coat but the darn thing shrunk or something and it didn't fit anymore. Buy whatever works and some big sweatshirts. I do love my wool bibs though.

The parka is warm and relatively quiet when moving. I prefer straight wool for pants: Sleeping Indian, King on the Mountain, and Weatherby all do or did make great wool hunting garments for big game use. I have an old Filson green wool pant pair that is worn and heavily pilled in the crotch and inter legs sections, and a Weatherby heavy duty wool pair that I use in cold weather stand sitting situations. IF you can find them in good shape, Weatherby made some very nice wool big game garments. My go to wool rain still hunting pants are a German Army surplus pair with double knees and seat. They are a very tight weaver green gray, with a button fly, cargo pockets and leather trim on the cuffs. After nearly thirty years of use, they have a new gusseted crotch section, courtesy of my wife's sewing prowess.

Sitka Gear makes well thought-out and designed quality hunting garments. Other than some of their gloves, their pricing is ridiculous. They are a cult hunting clothing venture, relying on their marketing scheme that implies hunters are athletes.

Paul the question is how do you deer hunt? Do you sit in a blind, in a tree, spot and stalk, or track? Do you hunt in the snow in the 10-30 degree range or sub zero?
I had Beagle wear for awhile and it was warm and quiet for everything I did but they are no longer in business. I now wear Sitka gear. I love it for every situation except sitting during our late season. They do make a complete system for all conditions. I will say they are expensive but the quality is there. If you are ex military ask them about a discount.

Eddie

Since my approach is significantly different Ill share. The last 35 or so years I've been deer hunting I use a military surplus M65 coat with the issue button in polyester liner, then pull on an hunter's orange hoodie over it. Advantages, very quiet, relatively inexpensive, While not "water proof" the layers are quit comfortable in the rain. Being layered, you can take out the lining or remove the full coat for dragging and still wear the hoodie for the safety/legal requirements. Up at camp, swapping out to a fresh hoodie helps with scent control. Plus you can use it with camo-orange hoodies or solids depending on state requirements. And finally you can leave the hoodie off in bow season for a decent woodland camo.

I too use the bibs Troy linked, my only bitch is that the pockets should be deeper or have buttons or zippers on them for security. I plan on adding velcro to a couple of the pockets in mine.

With respect to style of deer hunting, I did a lot of ground level pine woods up in the paper company woods of Maine. Presently here in CT I'm generally up in a tree in more open hard woods or maple swamps.

Scott

I've had a set of Woolrich for the past 35 years. There'es nothing warmer in the northeast winters. If you take care of them you'll have them forever.

Paul the question is how do you deer hunt? Do you sit in a blind, in a tree, spot and stalk, or track? Do you hunt in the snow in the 10-30 degree range or sub zero?
I had Beagle wear for awhile and it was warm and quiet for everything I did but they are no longer in business. I now wear Sitka gear. I love it for every situation except sitting during our late season. They do make a complete system for all conditions. I will say they are expensive but the quality is there. If you are ex military ask them about a discount.

Unfortunately I am in mn and I am essentially confined to tree stand or ground blind. We never do drives or anything like that. I dream of spot and stalk like they do west or in more open country. Thick woods sitting on my butt.

Paul

For straight all-day stand hunting, particularly in cold weather, the Cabelas Stand Hunter Extreme series would likely be your best choice for a coat and pants. I have a pair of set I used on two Canada whitetail hunts. They are warm, not a garment you would want to do any kind of walking while wearing. While they lack the weight and bulk of wool, they are still warm in wet conditions and are less prone to "critter" damage.

If you wanted to wear a warm base layer for walk-in, the coveralls would allow you to "suit-up" at your stand site for an all-day sit.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Stand-Hunter-Extreme-Insulated-Coveralls/753783.uts#tabsCollection

Last edited:
Paul, I have all of the Cabela's coat and pants you are referring to. The set has been very good to me. Keeps me warm and I now use if for all the hunting I do. From waterfowl to deer. You will. It go wrong.

I have a wooltimate hooded pullover, it's a pretty warm, and quiet parka but it's not insulated if you use it in extreme cold. Problem with the pullover, anything in the pocket falls out when you take it off. Overall it's not bad, If it's not that cold, the regular Legacy fleece with wind break or whatever they call it,is also good, and a lot cheaper.

I have the cabelas stand hunter extreme jacket and bibs mentioned. They are very warm, but not amazingly warm given their massive weight and bulk. I can not believe how heavy and bulky they are and do not think that their ratio of weight and bulk to insulation is great. I would say do not buy unless you see for yourself how heavy they are. Overall, mine are well made and well thought out. Leg zippers are full length, which is essential for me, since you can not wear them to the stand. When it is cold I still need to layer underneath significantly, so those layers will get you to the stand. I would weigh mine, but I have misplaced my official clothing weighing scale (seriously).

I would look at the Sitka incinerator, which uses down as well as synthetic insulation. Big money, but you are worth it.

I'm going to go to down, myself and try to get the insulation up and the weight down.

I have used the Cabelas MT050 and recently switched to the Sitka fanatic coat and bib. Both have served me well but the Sitka is by far warmer and more comfortable in my experience.

I have the cabelas stand hunter extreme jacket and bibs mentioned. They are very warm, but not amazingly warm given their massive weight and bulk. I can not believe how heavy and bulky they are and do not think that their ratio of weight and bulk to insulation is great. I would say do not buy unless you see for yourself how heavy they are. Overall, mine are well made and well thought out. Leg zippers are full length, which is essential for me, since you can not wear them to the stand. When it is cold I still need to layer underneath significantly, so those layers will get you to the stand. I would weigh mine, but I have misplaced my official clothing weighing scale (seriously).

I would look at the Sitka incinerator, which uses down as well as synthetic insulation. Big money, but you are worth it.

I'm going to go to down, myself and try to get the insulation up and the weight down.

To be honest, I don't/won't spend nearly enough time deer hunting to justify a 600$ jacket. That's alarmingly close to my (modest) house payment. I'll suffer a little for 400$!!!

Back