Devlin Broadbill and material selection

Ed L.

Supporter
Hi. I bought the Devlin Broadbill plans this morning. I would like to ask those who have built boats if I go with 3/8" ply on the bottom should I stay with 3/8" for the sides or can I use 1/4". Since I will be using this on the Mississippi River backwaters where debris can be a thing with old pipes and duck blind materials I'm thinking a skin of Kevlar over the fiberglass might save a hull. Is this suitable in the link below? I'm open to suggestions. I do have to watch the bank account though.

https://www.amazon.com/Denier-Polyurethane-Coated-CORDURA-Ballistic/dp/B07HLTSRZ3

Ed

I used 3/8" for the hull and decks and 1/2" for the bulkheads and transom, and covered in 6 oz. fiberglass cloth. Twenty years later she's in great shape. I'd do the the same if I were to do it over. If you do use kevlar you might be happier if you cover the bottom with it before you glass. It is very hard to sand so putting glass over will smooth things out and let you sand and fair much more easily.

Eric

Hi Ed.

Broadbill is a great little boat for solo hunting. You can use 1/4", or as Eric said 3/8. You might leave a lot of scrap on the ground if you build with both (if that is a concern). I built my Broadbill to plans and only needed 3 sheets 1/4 for hull/sides/deck (you have to be careful on laying out the cuts) and 1/2 inch bulkheads and been happy with the results. Kevlar is supposed to be tough, but Devlin lists Dynel for sheathing in the new Cackler plans (supposed to be very tough and flex some). You might research Dynel. I've found fibreglass very resistant to glancing contact with rocks, concrete, logs, and shellbeds, and it has held up well. But, I've not speared a piece of sunken rebar or sharp metal object; suspect that could really tear into the wood. Whatever you sheath with, I'd recommend glassing/sheathing the inside of the bottom of the hull, especially if you don't put in a floor.

v/r
Bill

Thanks for your replies. Eric, I will build to the specs as it was designed although I may stretch it to 12' so I can lengthen the cockpit some.
You know I've been talking about this going on 20 years now. Bill I still have all the photos you sent me as well as others. Now that I'm retired I may have the time to get this done by next season.

Ed L. said:
You know I've been talking about this going on 20 years now. Bill I still have all the photos you sent me as well as others. Now that I'm retired I may have the time to get this done by next season.

Same here! I planned to build a Broadbill back in 2004/05 but then got remarried, had kids, no workshop etc...
One of these days....

Carl said:
Ed L. said:

Same here! I planned to build a Broadbill back in 2004/05 but then got remarried, had kids, no workshop etc...
One of these days....

LOL...still have the wife. Kids are gone, no shop. I don't even own a plane! still looking for marine grade ply within a reasonable distance. Na da! You would think someplace on the Mississippi river or Chicago/great lakes would sell marine ply.

Huntindave McCann said:
Ed,
I sent you a text to your phone.

Hi Dave. Per my personal accountant it's just not in the cards. Ordering a little extra with the honey do list is how we work these things.

Overall, I have enjoyed my Broadbill. It is small, super stable, and disappears like a dream. I was in my mid-40s when I built it and I didn't mind shooting from the floor and it being a "one man, one dog" boat. Now that I am in my early-50s, I have restored an old Black Brant III. Being able to carry a hunting partner and a dog better suits the way I like to hunt these days.

Blessings on your build,

David

Ed L. said:
David Palmer said:
I built a Broadbill back in 2012 and followed Eric's advice to a tee. Here's a link to my build if you'd like some pics and comments: Duckboats.net: Main Forums: Duck Boat/Hunting Forum: <b>North</b> <b>Alabama</b> <b>Broadbill</b> Build

Looking forward to seeing more about your build soon!

Grace and peace,

David

Thanks David. I remember following your build. How has your boat worked out for you over the years?

Overall, I have enjoyed my Broadbill. It is small, super stable, and disappears like a dream. I was in my mid-40s when I built it and hunted solo a lot, so I didn't mind it being a "one man, one dog" boat. Now that I am older and almost never hunt alone, I decided to restore an old Black Brant III. Being able to carry extra passengers as well as a dog better suits the way I like to hunt these days.

Blessings on your build,

David

Back