Devlin scaup 18 from aluminum

Good morning, Jesse~

Great stuff!

Question about your process: I'm guessing the series of 6-8" long welds on the floor are done through a slit/slot cut into the floor so you can weld the floor to the stringers. Correct? or do you not have to cut through the floor first?

All the best,

SJS

Thanks, Jesse~

I have heard of some metal workers putting blades in to run backwards when cutting metal. Do you do so?

And, do you put a spacer between the blades?

SJS

No I use a nonferrous skill saw blade ... I cut the whole boat with the skill saw...what ever tools you use for wood you can use on aluminum.... planers , routers,table saws,jigsaws and so on

Beautiful beads...I ran the frames I copied up to 200X magnification! I know there is variation in aluminum alloy tubing( example: one of my mountain bike frames is fabricated from 7000 Easton Program tubes), does this also hold for aluminum plate sheets?

Last edited:
Jesse

Very impressive work, a lot of metal working skill demonstrated in this build.

What tecnique did you use in the final top coat paint scheme.....the lightly colored blades appear to be in distinct separate layers with overlapping blades.........it's a great look. Did you make your own stencil, or did you use a commercially made one?

I'm anxious to see pics and the post from her first shakedown cruise. Well done sir

Gibbs

What did you use for hull bottom treatment?

I'm glad I am not the person who will be cranking the boat back on the trailer loaded...

Last edited:
RLLigman said:
What did you use for hull bottom treatment?

I'm glad I am not the person who will be cranking the boat back on the trailer loaded...

I'd use the motor for that. [;)] ,,,,,, with a Drotto latch on the trailer.

Many (most) of our State Public Access ramps forbid engine power assisted recovery due to erosion issues that eventually undermine the ramp apron, causing eventual collapse.

I am not a fan of aluminum duck boats that I have seen BUT you did a great job, she looks great.
Phil

Back