Did you ever drop a duck into your boat

Never into my boat, but I shot a large goose that crashed into the roof of a church.I was with my great friend and mentor Harold Koehler who some of you knew well. Luckily it was a Monday a. m. and no service was going on. It hit the roof near the peak and slid down right over a side door--a half hour later a lady was using that door, and would have been hit! The goose was probably heart shot and flew about 800 feet before crashing. We used to wonder what people would have thought if it had happened during a Sunday service just after the pastor asked for food for the hungry! Maybe that's why Connecticut doesn't allow Sunday hunting!

Greg

Great story! Your dog never bet that his job was going to be so easy. Good for you. If you could do that every time. Think of all the money you would save. You wouldn't need a dog or boots lol. Thanks so much for the post.

Sandy

Your story is one of the better ones I'll give you that. God works in mysterious ways. He could of feed the flock with that goose. Great job and thanks for the post.

Not a duck or goose but a pheasant. I was working a retriever at a driven pheasant shoot. The gun shot a high incomer and my lab never had to move just opened his mouth to catch it. Drove him back about ten feet, thought it was going to kill him. None the worse for the experience, scared me more than it hurt him.

A buddy and I were hunting a local conservation area several years ago. Hunting out of small boats tucked into a row of standing corn. We were 'on the X' and had pretty consistent action. We were about limited out when a small group of mallards started to work. As they drew closer, a MUCH larger flock began to drop down from higher altitude and loop around. We both knew without having to say anything that we'd let the smaller group land and see if we could get the larger group in (we both just like to FOOL ducks). The small flock circled a few times and then curled in for final approach as the larger group slid around behind them to follow. As the lead group kept inching closer ....and closer....and...dogs were whining, boats trembling as they waited for the guns to go off, but we were waiting, and the small flock began landing about 5 feet from the boats...one landed so close its wing actually hit the bow of my boat. We were left sitting there, face to face with a half dozen mallards. That was all the confirmation the big flock needed, they tumbled in after the small flock, plopping down among the decoys. Most of those were within 20 yards. I honestly don't remember if we shot at those ducks, but the sight of that duck essentially landing on the boat is etched into my mind.

Scott

What a great story, It had to be so cool when those mallards came in so close. You dog must of went nuts. I had many days like that years ago. Its a feeling that never leaves your mind. Thanks for a great post.

that's a good placement!
a buddy and i were hunting the bay when the water was low. so we took layout blinds to a sand/mud bar. golden eyes were coming into the deeks and swinging right over us. tried to drop one in my buddies blind. missed but the bird piled up in the mud next to him and sprayed a good bit of mud over him. funny.....................

Frank

Great! nothing like getting your buddy muddy and wet. A good laugh is as much a part of a good hunt as a pile of ducks. Stories is what makes duck hunting what it is . Good job. Thanks for the post.

Back