Disc sander help...

Jon Yenulonis

Anyone on here, (as previously stated, the best site on the 'net), have experience with a disc sander? I have one of those old 9" disc, 6" belt sander combos. It has been sitting untouched for at least 15 years. How in the world do I get the old, slicked-back disc off? Heat? Chemicals? Scraping?

Thanks in advance...

Jon

Jon Yenulonis said:
How in the world do I get the old, slicked-back disc off? Heat? Chemicals? Scraping?

Thanks in advance...

Jon

I'm guessing the sanding disc was coated with an adhesive which was advertised as "removable". I'll also guess the backing plate is aluminum. If so, I'd first try a bit of heat from a heat gun. If that does not do it, see if you can gain access to the set screw(s) and remove the backing plate from the drive motor. Then you can put the backing plate and stuck on sanding disc in a bucket and soak it in some mineral spirits for a few days.

I use a propane torch on the sand side starting on one edge. Use a putty knife to get an edge loose then pull on that while heating on the sand paper as you go. Should pull right off if you go slow and heat as necessary. I?ve used that on the PSA type as well as the type that you use the glue on the disc before applying the sand disc.

Back