Diver hunting in NY

I mainly hunt in the finger lakes area of new York. I am looking to travel within the state to hunt divers this year. Does anyone have suggestions of bodies of water. Better or worst times. I know weather is a huge factor. I am looking to spend a few weekends with my son on the boat chasing birds. Any information About the other areas of new York would be appreciated.

I mainly hunt in the finger lakes area of new York. I am looking to travel within the state to hunt divers this year. Does anyone have suggestions of bodies of water. Better or worst times. I know weather is a huge factor. I am looking to spend a few weekends with my son on the boat chasing birds. Any information About the other areas of new York would be appreciated.
Chris if your looking for a Seaduck hunt, Scoters, Eiders and Old Squaw . There is no better place than Montauk. Give me a call

I know Champlain can be really good for divers on the Vermont side I would assume that the NY side would be just as good. I've seen a really nice marsh near the Plattsburgh area. I've never hunted it but it looks ducky.

Eddie

Ed... Chris and I have actually been thinking of doing a hunt on Champlain for Goldeneye with his TDB 14 Sea Class. Do you hunt GE on Champlain? When do they usually show up?

Been Working on a plan to Champlain. Still trying to educate myself about that area. That would be a wonderful weekend trip. But in addition I'm looking for those bodies of water within an hour an a half or so so I don't necessarily have to overnight somewhere. Maybe Lakes such as Oneida, hemlock, etc.... Long island is also something on the option board. Thanks

We got a bunch here on the south shore..all types..by this I mean sea ducks;scoters,old squaws occasional eider if this is what your looking for..very little pressure...mid to late season is a good time and light / calm winds seem to work best as the birds can see the blocks from waaay off.Of course youll be hunting the open ocean so be prepared to get a little salty.I can give you launch sites,areas,etc.Would also be interested in maybe trading a hunt for something up your way..We can help you with last minute items if you need..we have a sporting goods shop in the area. I can give you an update on the migration as it progresses.I even got a full rig of scoters/eiders/old squaws you could use..We dont hunt them much.Keep in touch
Rob

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and the offer. And yea if your ever up this way let me know I can provide you with information about up here.

Thousand Islands area (Cape Vincent to Alex Bay area) for the Northern Zone late season divers - closer to freeze up the better. Lots of goldeneye, squaw, bufflehead along with lesser amounts of bluebills and redheads.

Don't overlook the Hudson River. A lot of it is huntable and there's more public land than most people realize, especially on the east bank. Above Poughkeepsie it is also very suitable water for a TDB 14.

I think I'm gonna absorb as much information as possible then start my bucket list of places to hunt within the state. Then start bucket list for out of state. Right now on my out of state is a standing timber hunt in the south. Hunting standing timber look like an awesome way to put the smack down on a few tasty morsels.

Back