Do you shoot ducks on the water?

I don't shoot swimming or ducks on the water just because to me it is not fun. I will dispatch a cripple on the water.
When I was younger and was into taxidermy the mission was to collect. Then I would do whatever it took to get a good duck to mount. The first duck I ever shot I used a BB gun on a swimming duck that was on a pond in PA.

The consensus seems to be shoot 'em on the water. Boy you guys just saved me a lot of money,think i'll just sell both boats,all my decoys and just shoot beer cans off of fence posts it would be just as much fun. But i will GIVE my spinners to TOD if i had any.

Only cripples, I personally dont believe its very sporting to shoot birds on the water. They dont shoot clay pigeons on the ground at the skeet range.... same thing, too easy.

This is a great discussion. Even though I don't, I like to shoot them on the wing only, I have no problem with how someone else does it, and I have witnessed a few swattings on a slow day.

I will skillet lick a bird...Best yet if I can line up two pintails, two redheads, two teal, 20 snow geese, 3 cacklers and 2 specks at one time I am pulling the trigger...Hevi Shot is expensive... :)

Regards,
Kristan

Yup.

In my opinion refusing to shoot one on the water is like not shooting a deer because you let him get to close to your stand.

I'm enjoying reading all the responses...

Call me old school. I was taught to never shoot a bird on the water unless its a cripple.

Tom (or anyone) - In all honesty, I would like to know their theory behind that since you were taught from others? I've read one person say it was "too easy", another say something about it not being fun (to him), and other than that just some sarcastic remarks about water swatting. As I said in my post earlier, I learned to duck hunt on my own at 13yrs old and approached them like squirrel or deer hunting... sit still as possible in one spot (near bank on public water) and hope something comes by close enough to shoot. I had no decoys, no waders, no calls, and used a fishing pole with 2 zara spooks tied in series to retrieve ducks that I killed. I never even heard of the "old school" rule(s) until I was 21yrs old and joined my first duck hunting forum on the internet, ha... lot of irony there.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"What's the market on hand carved decoys with shot holes? :)"

I don't know Wiz, mine done have any holes in them. Oh wait I took a kid hunting and he peppered a few of my bluebills while they were landing in the blocks. I guess I should have told him not to shoot at the low flyers :)
[/font]

As a youngster I shot some birds on the water. Then figured out this is a sport, not subsistance hunting. I go down for the enjoyment...
Tip, I found #7 steel trap shot is great for shooting cripples. Alot of shot, good for head shots, little body penetration...
Just my opinion... I love to watch them fall out of the sky...

Rich~

I was not going to jump into this interesting discussion until you took the words right out of my mouth. When I try to explain to my deer hunting friends why I do not enjoy hunting deer as much as duck shooting, they now know it is "because deer (and turkeys) do not fall out of the sky". (I feel like an assassin when I shoot deer or gobblers - because I will not shoot either if they are moving.)

On the other hand, I believe each hunter's decisions and practices are personal on this matter - as well as many other aspects of this grand pastime of ours. So, I pass no judgments on others. The bottom line is that we always strive for quick clean kills and pursue and dispatch cripples relentlessly. Beyond that, it's a matter of complex thoughts, values and emotions. For me, much of this sport is about aesthetics - personal aesthetics - and, when it comes to the actual shooting - "it's all about the shot" (a quote from a long-time friend and gunning partner).

I shot my first duck - at my Dad's direction - on the water. But, he was very proud the next morning when I dropped a Black Duck out of the sky. After my first season, I can only recall taking a bird or 2 on the water. Nowadays, I will commonly pass up shots that are the so-called "skillet shots" - feet down, almost on the water. I look, instead, for shots with some element of challenge - or potential drama. In fact, my Model 12 still has its full choke - because I know it can take that occasional "long one" and still wrap the bird up, "dead in the air", with the classic fold. I want to see the bird "fall out of the sky" - it is a key part of what I call "memorable hunts".

I appreciate the really easy shots in the decoys because they do, indeed, attest to the fact that everything has worked as planned. But, especially when I am gunning by myself, I may elect to simply say "Bang, I could have gotten you". I rack it up as "counting coup" - as the Indian warriors did. It helps that I hunt where there are lots of Black Ducks but only a 1-bird bag - so I want my one Black Duck shot to be a memorable one.

As an aside, I do think there is a reason that the term "duck shooting" is frequently used instead of "duck hunting" in our tradition (Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater, A Book on Duck Shooting, Shotgunning in the Lowlands, De Shootinest Gent'man, etc). Connecting with an object hurtling through space as fast as many of us drive our cars is an accomplishment that requires skill borne of practice, experience and focus - and, more important to me - it is an exciting, graceful and elegant painting/poem/ballet/symphony that has no equal.

Another tip (I agree with your ideas about #7s for cripples): If a bird sneaks into the decoys (by air or sea) and will not jump immediately - after the usual shouting and waving - invest (waste) a shell and shoot the water a yard to either side. In my experience, that'll always get them up - and give a better, taller opportunity than if they skulk out long and low. (BTW: I usually do this for others - and so announce what I am doing before I do it.)

Neal - Thanks for starting this thread!

All the best,

SJS

and other than that just some sarcastic remarks about water swatting

I resemble that remark! Actually I prefer to say "interject humoric relief" than "sarcastic remarks"...but to each their own.

Seriously though, when I started hunting back in Illinois, there was a state law that waterfowl (or maybe game birds except turkey?) must be in flight to shoot with the exception of dispatching cripples. It appears to no longer be a law there, but I had a discussion of this subject with "someone in the know" and he said that through the years, various laws, state and federal, have been created to attempt to instill ethics upon hunters, some more successful than others. Can't totally explain it, but to this day, it just doesn't "feel right" to water swat. Not to say I'm above it, or even that I look down on those that do, but there is a reason we call it "wing-shooting" rather than "harvesting" or "killing."

Chuck

PS there is nothing more frustrating that the duck that sneaks into the spread, you stand and point thinking he'll fly and he just looks at you...you yell to scare him and he just swims away...

I think its okay to shootem on the water, I agree with the skillet theory. But I don't think you should have a scope mounted on the shotgun.
Funny story, I bought a new guy out hunting last year, although he was 65. A flock of about 20 ringnecks came in on the deck
and landed right next to the mojo. When the smoke cleared, my first thought was an old WWII movie when the plane comes limping back with flack
through the wings. All I can say is it was funny. Guess I should have told him, don't shoot them on the water...

I sure have. I can still remember making that stalk on a small flock of gadwalls that were on a stretch of the channel that I allow myself to hunt. I was on my hands and knees crawling through all kinds brush, broken cottonwood limbs, etc. When I finally got as close as I could and could go no farther, I figured out that it was impossible for me to stand and flush them for the shot, so I nailed them on the water. I thought it was a hell of a stalk for a 69 year old with one replacement knee.
Al

I resemble that remark! Actually I prefer to say "interject humoric relief" than "sarcastic remarks"...but to each their own.

Seriously though, when I started hunting back in Illinois, there was a state law that waterfowl (or maybe game birds except turkey?) must be in flight to shoot with the exception of dispatching cripples. It appears to no longer be a law there, but I had a discussion of this subject with "someone in the know" and he said that through the years, various laws, state and federal, have been created to attempt to instill ethics upon hunters, some more successful than others. Can't totally explain it, but to this day, it just doesn't "feel right" to water swat. Not to say I'm above it, or even that I look down on those that do, but there is a reason we call it "wing-shooting" rather than "harvesting" or "killing."

Ha, I understand completely. Great explanations from both you and Steve! The fact that it was once an illegal practice is definitely a viable explanation to me and explains handing down to other generations. I also completely understand all the arguments about calling duck hunting "wingshooting" versus something else... At times I take pride in being able to hit a bufflehead or goldeneye at full speed over the decoys (sometimes anyway) when some of my buddies are shooting gadwalls "hovering" 25yds over their decoys in private holes... at the same time, I would gladly go on a hunt with any of them that asked, lol.

If a duck lands/swims in the spread we stand up and jump it. Ducks sitting on the water are harder to kill resulting in a crippled or missed duck.

I suspect the no shooting sitting ducks may have roots in the attempts to regulate then outlaw market gunning. I'm sure many of us have read of accounts where market gunners used all kind of methods to sneak up to or amongst a raft of birds then unleash a barrage with the intent of killing as many Ducks as possible.

Would be very difficult to kill 100+ birds at one time while they are on the wing.

Just a theory.

Tim

Back