Dog Advice

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
I'm thinking of diving into the puppy world. There is an upcoming litter of Irish Water Spaniels, and if we check out a local dog and my wife's allergies can tolerate it, we'd pull the lever. (She tolerates standard poodles, which have a similar coat.)

IWS litters are rare, and litters from dogs who both have hunting pedigrees are even rarer. I'd be looking at a litter almost halfway across the country.

What are the logistics for purchasing a dog from that far away? Can it be flown? Is this traumatic for the dog? Would a 2-3 day car trip be more traumatic?

If the dog can be shipped, what are the logistics for choosing a dog from so far away? The last dog I was involved in purchasing was 30+ years ago, when my parents took my sister and me to look at a littler of Springers and we picked the one that looked the cutest.

And, if anyone knows of IWS litters coming up--especially here in the Northeast--please let me know.

Would also appreciate your IWS photos and stories to keep the juices flowing.

Jeff why not look at a hunting poodle I know that their are as least one breeder in north east I will look up his name tonight

Standard poodles are sweet hearts, but very pricy and tough to find a breeder of good hunting stock. Open to suggested breeders.

Pudel pointers look great but bother her allergies, as do all the other wire hairs.

Gary March has two IWSis, ( is that the correct plural spelling? Sounds like a terrorist organization)....he loves his and if I'm not badly mistaken he got at least one of them, if not both, from across the big waters...

He doesn't post here anymore with any regularity and while inised to be able to get ahold of him at work that doesnt work for me anymore..(he might have retired and is now "in the wind").

Assuming you could get ahold of Gary he could answer all your questions I'm sure. Brad B. and Fred Slyfield both hunt with him so maybe contact them for a contact number...

Good luck....

Jeff,
Have you considered an AWS, American Water Spaniel? Great dogs for both retrieving and flushing. They are similar to an IWS, the shedding is minimal, dedicated, loving dogs. There are several breeders on the East Coast.
Our Daisy is approaching ten so time to start looking ourselves. Good luck with whatever breed you decide on.

Zane

Hello Jeff
Yes, I have a male that I got from England and a female that I got out of Seattle,Wa. I couldn't be happier with the both of them. They don't shed per say and they are willing to hunt in any extreme conditions. Cold or very cold. They both remind me of my old American water spanial (RIVER) except they have longer legs. Helps on the upland bird hunts. I am at work so can't post any pictures now. Storm is 5 and Rainy is 3. I can't say enough about them. But all of us on here think the same about our dogs. Labs, setters ,pointers ect. Jeff I belong to an IWS group on facebook and if you signed on you would see lots of talk and pics daily of them. Good luck in your search.
Gary

Thanks, guys.

Gary, I'm really interested in your buying a dog from overseas. That makes my potential mid-west litter seem close!

How did the logistics work? How did you choose the pup from a litter?

There is an upcoming litter in Ireland that sounds promising . . . .

We have had three dogs shipped via air freight, as well as two puppies physically picked-up by one of us and flown back as carry-on baggage. American does the best job among the large commercial carriers. A good friend's father had a English Pointer puppy flown-in from Britain from a line that he had traced back to his second upland bird dog's lineage, seven years ago...again, this was via American Airlines. Zero issues. Karen flew with Dugan back from a breeder in Oxford, Ms. The flight attendants were great, encouraging her to keep the dog on her lap for most of the flight. They even allowed her to take his crate back to their service station with her when he soiled the liner papers to allow her to clean it. One of the attendants mentioned to Karen that this was much more "pleasant" than having to clean-up after a drunken passenger...

I drove-out to Kansas this past spring to pick-up Flynn. We bought Kane from the same breeder three plus years ago and had him shipped (They are out of different dams, but the same sire. Flynn's dam is a daughter of Kane's dam.) He traveled well for the duration of the drive, after the first half-hour post-seperation from his litter. Just be prepared for the first night of separation from the pup's littermates, you will get very little sleep... The total cost differential between the two transits was minimal, less than three hundred dollars.

Good luck! A dogs eyes are truly 'the window to the soul'!

Jeff, Ive never bought a dog but have read the advice given to people in your shoes that cant go pick a puppy. Everyone has said if youre buying from a reputable breeder, that knows what theyre doing, you should be able to trust the breeder to pick for you. You just need to have a very frank conversation in what youre looking for. Ive always read that its a crap shoot with puppies but MUCH LESS of one from quality parents. That most people will find themselves pleased with a puppy from a good breeding. People that have responded who werent able to pick puppies themselves have said theyve been very pleased with the choice the breeder made for them, but that they had had in depth conversations with the breeder about what they were looking for. So maybe talk with the breeder and find out if he has picked for people and then see if you can get those people as references to see how pleased they were with the choice.

Be careful if you look at the breeder in Seattle that Gary got his second IWS from.....if I remember that story correctly he got not only a great dog but also a Most EXCELLENT WIFE in that transaction........something your current wife might frown on more than a new puppy shredding shoes and peeing on the rugs.....

JUST SAYIN.........

Steve

There is an upcoming litter in Ireland that sounds promising . . . .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now there is a plan - will it be ready for pick up whilst the springers are running in the salmon rivers?

The flat coated retriever I had came from California. I searched until I found a litter with good lines on both sides, I then checked around and they breeder had an excellent reputation. I then contacted the breeder. They interviewed me before agreeing to sell me a pup. We both signed a contract. They guaranteed a quality healthy dog, I guaranteed proper training, hunting and I could not breed him unless he got his hunting certifications and they approved the bitch of equally good caliber.
Shipping was hassle free. Had to pick him up in Portland. Immediately walked him and allowed him to relieve himself. I suspect someone along the way did they same as there were no signs of him having relieved himself in the crate. He had no signs of stress.
He was a great dog.

Jeff,

The first dog I ever remember in our family was an IWS. An amazing upland dog that was as tough as any I have owned since.

As for shipping a dog I recommend United Airlines PetSafe program. I have used them as have others I know and have never heard anything but great reviews. Al put Drake on in NM and I took him off in Calgary. Smooth as silk.

When I was looking into it I seem to remember that AA didn't ship pets to Calgary.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/animal/default.aspx

Last edited:
Hey Jeff. You said this: "IWS litters are rare, and litters from dogs who both have hunting pedigrees are even rarer. I'd be looking at a litter almost halfway across the country."

My take of this is--- I was so darn lucky to find a litter of IWS and now know that they are hunters besides! Not only that they aren't even half way across our country.

What ever your decision is make it so you won't second guess yourself.
Al

Thanks again, all. Now we need to schedule a visit with the local IWS to test Dee Dee's allergies. If that doesn't work out, I'll do more investigating on the poodle front, as we know our neighbor's standard poodles don't bother her.

Back