dog names

The name usually doesn't come to you until you hold the pup up and look in his/her eyes.....then you know

I have a friend up in New Brunswick that named his new setter puppy Stella. If you've ever seen the play, "Death of a Salesman", you'll understand why it will be funny to hear him yelling her name in the grouse woods. I also have an acquaintance that named his Brittany "Leon". I can't explain it, but the name fits that dog perfectly. My current setter, Brodie, is named after a character (lol, female, I later realized) on NCIS. My last setter, Tucker, was named after the name I saw on a mailbox as we were bringing him home for the first time from Maine. I'm really bad at naming dogs. Glad I never had kids...what a naming disaster that would have been!
Gary

Bell, Bella, Patches, Tammy, Charm, Bullet, Spot, Hunter, Brandy, Woody, Buffy, Jackie, Indy.... probably a few I forgot from when I was a youngan....

Here are a few, Wendell.

These are female labs that we have or have had. Chili, Serrano, Cayenne aka Caya, Jalapeno aka Jali (same initial "H" sound), Pepper, Cascabella aka Casa which is Bev's yellow house dog. A Cascabella is a hot, yellow pepper. Bev thinks she is hot---she's yellow---and her mother is Pepper, Salsa, Habanero aka Habi, and Sonora, who is my house dog.

As for male labs: Chance, Chaco, and Chipotle aka Chip.

Chili, Pepper, Habi and Chip are labs that shared or share the duck blind with me.
Al

I have had so many best friends in my life. Labs are some of the best buddies you can have. I live and hunt on the Hudson River in Upstate New York. The best dog I ever had was called Henry his bread name was Henry of the Hudson. He was a once in a life time dog . I'm sure we all had that one great hunting dog. Don't get me wrong. I had a bunch that were good hunters . But Henry was a great hunter. Other names were Jay Jay. That was from the show good times back in the day, Aritmas Goddess of Love , I willn't lie my girlfriend at the time named her. Scooby Doo my boys named him. I 'm getting a chocolate labrador pup soon and his name is going to be yahtzee. Named once again by a girlfriend! because we play yahtzee all the time.
Be smart in what ever you name your best friend. Don't name him Duck or Goose. Trust me a whole different story. I wish not to tell.

Thanks
Anthony

My first, T.J.
Best protector, Alice, female sheppard/husky
Best beagle, Abby
Best lab, call name Pearl (for the Black Pearl) (registered name, Traditions Eider Biter)
My current beagles, Jack and Izzy

past performers,

Jesse
Sarah
Cody
Jake
Sammy

I've had 17 dogs over the last 70 or so years! 9 were "second hand" and I kept the names they came with; * after names that fit well:
Smokey
* Max (100 LB Black Lab)
* Nitro (Brittany Spaniel)
* Cinder (Black Lab)
* Creek (Black Lab)
* Dinky (15 LB Whippet)
Abby
Whiskey
Poppy
8 that I or family members named: Also have * for especially fitting names

Timmy
* Freckles (Springer Spaniel with lots of small spots)
Tammy
* Bourbon ( dark colored Golden); also one of my favorite libations
* Golden Eye Nightmare aka Mare (Chesapeake Bay Retriever)
* Brunhilda (German Short Haired Pointer)
* Ripley (Black Lab) I got him at birth because he had a cleft palate and had to be tube fed as a young pup for three weeks. Then he was able to drink and eat solid food. When he was eight weeks old he was half the size of his litter mates but eventually he caught up and weighed 75 pounds. He had corrective surgery at 4 1/2 months of age, I decided to name him Ripley as in "Believe it or not".
* Annabelle (black lab rescue from Georgia)

Four of these 17 dogs are non-hunting pets. The others are all hunting dogs.

Back