Dog problems

Dave E

I made a ladder for my buck boat. On dry land (boat on the trailer) the dog will climb it fine climbing in or out of the boat. I took him out in the water with it a couple of times. First I started in shallow water and he just jumps in the boat (doesn't use the ladder). In deeper water he wants to swim right up to the side of the boat (not the ladder) where he can get his feet on something solid.

I tried several levels of water today, he just got confused. If I could get him to start at the bottom of the ladder every time, he would be fine. Any ideas out there?

Dave

When he approaches your boat, are you in a different area of the boat in relation to the dog ladder? Is he simply trying to come back to the spot where you are? Damn hard to teach an old dog new tricks......LOL. I wish I had the be all - end all answer to help you out, but most days my dog teaches me what to do.

I am probably telling you something you already know, but be patient and consistent. Give the dog a cue word, like "kennel" when he gets in and out of the boat using the ladder. When he swims back to you and the side of the boat, try and guide him to the ladder by his collar in the water and give him the kennel command. That is how I would approach it. Good luck.

I had the same problem. he would only enter the boat to the left of the motor. I used a long rope and guided him to the new spot. After a few days doing that while training he was fine.. hope that helps

repetition.... start with a cue word like JS said and practice it in the yard till he knows it (2-3 days) then take it to the lake and practice it.

Good luck

Dave, I had the same problem with my chessies when I first started using a ladder. The secret to success is
practice practice practice. I started taking hold to the dog by the scruff and leading him to the ladder. After a few hunts he finally caught on to it. Just keep practicing, eventually the dog will get the point.

Good Luck, Dean.

Thanks guys. I will be back at it tonight in the yard. Too bad he doesn't speak english!

Does the dog exit the boat over the ladder or at least close to it?

That's kinda how I've got mine set up. Dog sits on the back bench by the motor. Also, there's only one gap in the blind, but I taught her all about the ladder before introducing the blind. She launches off the gunwhales right over the ladder and then comes back to the same spot. Also happens to be right next to me when I'm sitting in the boat.

Good luck!

NR

Does the dog exit the boat over the ladder or at least close to it?

That's kinda how I've got mine set up. Dog sits on the back bench by the motor. Also, there's only one gap in the blind, but I taught her all about the ladder before introducing the blind. She launches off the gunwhales right over the ladder and then comes back to the same spot. Also happens to be right next to me when I'm sitting in the boat.

Good luck!

NR Yes, my set up is similar to yours. I worked with him this evening a bit. On LAND he uses the ladder just fine. In the WATER he gets goofed up (I wasn't in any water tonight). I am building a screen so he can only see a small opening right over the ladder. I am hoping this will help him zero in on the steps. I know he knows the steps are there, he uses them (for crying out loud). This weekend I will take the boat back to the water and work in shallow water just deep enough so he can't just jump in the boat without the ladder. I know it will take a hundred repetitions for it to take. I just wasn't sure how to address the problem.

OK, Dave, I think you're on the right track. Just needs more repetition starting with encouragement and ending with "force" if need be. I don't mean force in the retriever training sense, just the removal of all other options meaning the dog only comes in via the ladder. It's ok if you have to give a tug on the collar or scruff of his neck.

Must not be a black lab, eh?! lol, just kidding.

Have fun, be patient and don't whup the dog too hard - he just hasn't gotten the hang of it yet.

Wonder if it might help if you were in the water in waders at the ladder. Mine would want to swim right to me if I were in the water. Then you could guide him up it. Repeat as has been suggested. After he's got that consistently then maybe move into the boat at the top of the ladder. Repeat as before. Eventually you will be able to stay in your usual spot and he'll know how to get back to you. It won't happen over night, but make sure to avoid anything traumatic that could set you back. Only you will know when such a situation is about to occur. Don't be afraid to repeat the earlier steps as you teach him. I'm no pro; just suggesting some progressive steps. Good luck.

Wonder if it might help if you were in the water in waders at the ladder. Mine would want to swim right to me if I were in the water. Then you could guide him up it. Repeat as has been suggested. After he's got that consistently then maybe move into the boat at the top of the ladder. Repeat as before. Eventually you will be able to stay in your usual spot and he'll know how to get back to you. It won't happen over night, but make sure to avoid anything traumatic that could set you back. Only you will know when such a situation is about to occur. Don't be afraid to repeat the earlier steps as you teach him. I'm no pro; just suggesting some progressive steps. Good luck. Yes sir, I am going to try this next (tomorrow). Thanks.

Back