Dog Ramp / Ladder...Lets see 'em

Kevin Inskeep

I spent many years and beers dreaming mine up but finally found the right Aluminum welder dude for the project.
When folded down it is just at the waterline so my lab can just keep on a swimmin right onto it, I put my hand behind the back of his head for a little leverage and he can simply walk on in!! Permanently attached , folds down when shootin, folds up when runnin. Pull pin holds it in position at both settings. All aluminum and stainless. Got tired of the steel few I have made over the years rusting and coming loose. And I NEVER to this day have seen one commercially made I would even piss on !! The maker charged me a arm and a leg but it was worth it. I hunted it the entire season this year and she is bullet proof. I can even stand my fat azz on it and she holds

View attachment dog dtep 5.JPG

But, what pieces did you use to put it together? When I trained my pup I never thought about training her to use these handy devices. At the time we lived in New Mexico and I really didn't need a boat. I have one now and have found that the ramp I made just isn't cutting it. She just doesn't like it even though I added a flot to the bottom. I think it just moves way to much when she starts to use it. No problem doing land training with the boat and ramp but putting them in the water just isn't the same. I like your idea and could use a little more info on it if you wouldn't mind sharing.

The guy that made it for me said he would be interested in making others for my buddies so I guess I could forward his info onto anyone wanting one. pricey tho !! $500
All welded aluminum and stainless tho. Well worth it.
My dog only gets back into the boat using this step. He sits up in the bow and jumps out when sent on birds. I designed my blind too and there is a small cut out up front where he sits and jumps from. The step is very sturdy and also serves as a entry point for people getting back into boat as well. I can even stand on it, wash the mud and silt off my boots before climbing back in. If I did it over tho I would prob just welded her right onto the boat where it is now. As it is, I drilled holes and used brass inset inserts and bolted the step on that way. Very sturdy as is, but should have welded it on..I still may this summer.

Hey Randall -
Do you have pics of your dog step ? Mine is bolted to the boat and folds up and down as I mentioned before.
I can send you more pics and more detail if your interested..? I think you made a type-O...Did you mean you added a FLOAT to the bottom ? not flot ?Or did you mean a "flat" bottom ? Do you hunt the Columbia in Washington state ?

Back