Don Warren BBSB

Bill Abbate

Anyone own a Don Warren fiberglass BBSB ? I was wondering how they perform. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bill -
I had a "Classic Barnegat" by Kirk Sherbine (member) I think that is a Don Warren hull. Let me know what you want to know.

The original Warren. Oats were pure displacement hull boats. Very heavy, very slow, hard to row, and had a scary shallow strewn. So shallow that in heavy seas the rear deck was often awash. The low cockpit coaming made the water across the rear deck even scarier. Your weight and the motor wt was an issue since that shallow stern meant there wasn't anything g supporting the wt. typically, at least in calm water, you run a Barnegat sitting on the stern deck. Kneeling inside the cockpit if it rough. In almost all cases I had to kneel in the cockpit when running mine.

That said they were decent boats and a good way to find out if you really want a Barnegat without the larger expense

When Kirk bought the business he made substantial changes to the hull to improve safety and performance. I've never seen or run one of his boats but if I was going with a glass boat I'd be looking at one of his rather than the older Warren hulls

Steve

I h ave had one for two years it is a displacement hull and rated for 3-4 hp alot of people run a larger engine. But it will still go maybe 6mph with the 4hp and the same with the larger motor but that adds too much stern weight . Have not had it out in anything over two foot seas but it did well. Water pretty much just rolls off the back, use a tiller extension to distribute the weight forward. It hides well and is a fun boat to hunt out of if you can get it for a good price I would consider it.

i have a 12' don warren run a 15 merc with a tiller extension and like it, that being said it has its draw backs but not many 12' boats are all rounders, i've had it out in some pretty rough stuff and it handles it like a champ, but not a fast boat.

Back