Duck cleaning

rfberan

I would appreciate any information/experience anyone might have regarding motorized duck pluckers. Good, bad, etc. Also, does anyone have experience with the hitch breaster? Looking to possibly improve efficiency over paraffin and scissors.

Thank you,

I absolutely love the hitchbreaster. There a couple different types and I definitely prefer one over the other, although I've seen guys do different ones. I have never plucked the whole bird, but depending on the type of hitch breaster you are using, it's definitely possible do a quick pluck of just the skin over the breast and then use the machine to clean it up. So you still have that nice skin for frying the breast

We once had a plucker head that we had gotten from Cabela's. It was a steel cup closed at one end that had holes drilled around the sides through which you put rubber fingers that came with it and had a post coming out the closed end which was designed for a drill chuck. We got an electric motor, a drill chuck, and a rheostat to adjust the speed and mounted it on a saw horse. It worked great, a GWT in one minute and a big duck in 2. Unfortunately, we lost it in Superstorm Sandy(the New Jersey version of "The Perfect Storm"). I don't know if anything like this is still available, but for a non-commercial operation it was great. So I pluck them now 90% of the time. That, to me, makes such a big difference in the flavor that it is worth the extra time. But if you find one let us know, I would build another plucker, the whole thing was pretty inexpensive. I think the plucker head was around $20.

Thank you for the help. Kyle may I ask which one you prefer? You can personal message me if you don't want to make public.
Orvis has both the DIY and an assembled one. Has anyone any experience with one of the drum pluckers?

Mike-SID has one that I've borrowed that works real good on ducks. Vacuum connects to the hood so you can suck all the feathers up and not turn your lawn, garage, other space loved by your spouse and constantly ruined by your activities into a feather garden. Didn't work so hot on geese, mostly just too small, but they had a modification for it that would have sufficed. My only complaint was here in CT it's wasn't worth the cost unless I had a pile of ducks, and getting a pile of ducks isn't easy. Early goose however, I would be happy with a drum plucker from a chicken farm

Thank you.

In looking at the drum pluckers, I came across an issue that might be of interest. So, it seems that the drum will remove the feathers from the wings. This means you can't legally transport them unless you do it at home or it is done at a processing facility. Just an FYI I wasn't aware of.

I would appreciate any information/experience anyone might have regarding motorized duck pluckers. Good, bad, etc. Also, does anyone have experience with the hitch breaster? Looking to possibly improve efficiency over paraffin and scissors.

Thank you,
I have an older model plucker called "The Plucker" I don't use it much. Really only used it a few times, it threw feathers everywhere. Worked decent for ducks, but didn't do well with big geese. Every year I think about getting it out and trying again. After moving multiple times, I've lost the 110v adapter for it, so I can only use it with a 12v battery.

As far as the hitch breaster, I've used these on numerous snow goose hunts. They are a great tool and worth the investment. Most snow goose guides have them I've found. Side note with younger guides, bet them a case of beer they can't clean all the geese in a predetermined timeframe, and watch how fast that pile gets cleaned!! It's win for both parties 🤣;)

Thank you.

In looking at the drum pluckers, I came across an issue that might be of interest. So, it seems that the drum will remove the feathers from the wings. This means you can't legally transport them unless you do it at home or it is done at a processing facility. Just an FYI I wasn't aware of.
You can leave the head or one fully feathered wing attached for meet transportation requirements.

The Cajuns I've hunted with used a homemade 6.5 hp motorized plucker and pluck their ducks down to the wingtip, singe the duck over gas stove and then process. When they were finished the ducks looked like they came from the grocery store.

Back