Ducker Transom question

Mark W

So the rehab on the Lund Ducker is going slowly. Most of the reasons are good, and a few are not so. I finally got the transom put together. I wanted to make it "pretty" but functional and durable was of higher importance. Used 1/4" X 20 stainless bolts of various lengths to bolt the outside the boat and inside the boat pieces together to sandwich the aluminum hull. Wood was 3/4" plywood as I was told treated is a bad idea and I couldn't justify the added expense of marine grade plywood. This plywood was sealed first n the holes were as well. Bolt holes were filled with silicone sealant prior to installing the bolts. Al wood/aluminum interfaces were calked so no water should be able to get inside.

Anyway, I really don't like the bolts sticking out so dar from the nuts. I've not done this but can I just take a grinder and cut the bolts shorte. If done well I should still be able to remove the nuts for whatever reason down the road or will they be unusable? Othe methods to pretty up these bolts without recessing the nut (plywood isn't thick enough to do this.

Thanks -

Mark

Attachments

• ducker transom.jpg
    ducker transom.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17
Get yourself a Type 42 – Reinforced Depressed Centre Cut Off Wheel and it will make short work of trimming the bolts flush with the nuts.
Just an example;
1714845763329.png

IMHO, the "depressed center" verses a "flat" cutoff wheel, makes it easier to cut flush to a nut or other surface.

Last edited:
Get yourself a Type 42 – Reinforced Depressed Centre Cut Off Wheel and it will make short work of trimming the bolts flush with the nuts.
Just an example;
View attachment 55495

IMHO, the "depressed center" verses a "flat" cutoff wheel, makes it easier to cut flush to a nut or other surface.
Thanks Dave. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order. Heading there when i opens.

Back