Electric Canoe Paddle - this ought to generate some discussion

Mark W

A new canoe paddle has just been announced that is causing quite the controversy back home. The paddle was made to be used in the boundary waters canoe area where motors are not allowed to go. According to what I have read, I believe there are 15 or so lakes in the BWCA that allow motors and all other waters within the BWCA do not allow any motors whatsoever. I guess what the company is saying is that the laws as written say motors attached to any boat are not allowed. Since this is an electric paddle, it isn't attached to the boat and is therefore legal.

Let the spinner wars begin anew.

Whatcha all think?

View attachment paddle.jpg

Mark W

Anyone who understands BWCA wouldn't even think about using one. The whole idea is to get away from it all and just enjoy what nature has to offer and listen to the silence.

Tom

You do know your really making me feel dumb. Good thing I'm able to laugh at myself. Yea I googled it. The chamber of commerce thought it might be a fun trick. All I can say is we will be back to Ely in 2017.

Tom

Last edited:
Years ago we told a guy we got ahold of some freeze dried beer for our trip, really had him going!

The bent shaft version is due out for the summer paddling season! I have one on order.

I wonder if you go faster/straighter with two paddlers if you get paddles with opposite rotation? You would need to pack a solar charger too.

Tom

Back