electronic ear plugs

David Allen

Where can I purchase a decent set of electronic ear plus at a decent price? I would like some reviews from those who have and use these. Thanks

Thanks for bringing this one up, I'm in that market also WHAT????? hehehehe Lets see what the group has to say. I can still read

Electronic ear plugs? Old school is foam ear plugs.
Oh no, not another foam verses no foam debate!

I've used a set of Pro Ears Dimension 1 for years at work but would want something slimmer for hunting purposes. As it is, I wear hearing aids and my hearing aids will clamp down just like the muffs for loud noises. (I'm not recommending this, just my observation)

I have a set of custom made Sport Ear's. They work well and are very comfortable. I forget I'm even wearing them most of the time. However, they were very expensive. For what I payed for them, I kind of expected a little bit more. They amplify ambient sound well. They do an "ok" job of protecting from muzzle blast. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

I have been using some custom fit analog one made by Starkie that are great, the only thing that would be better is some digital ones.

The only issue I have is it takes some time to get used to what your call sounds like when calling.

I have also used some semi custom mini ear plugs from E.A.R but I have a narrow ear canal and a very shallow ear bowl so they were difficult for me to deal with but sound quality was great.

I looked at the starkey site and like the custome fit and the tiny in ear plug (not fit). The small not custom seems to have a better rating, (to my surprise).

I have also looked at the Etymotic GPS 15 and like the looks of it. Both at the $400 price point.

I was thinking that custome fit was the way to go but now I am questioning that.

I recently bought(had made) the insta-mold ear plugs with the BTE(Behind the ear) SHS1 electronics. I am very impressed with them. It is a custom fit silicone ear plug with the BTE electronic aid. It enhances hearing and compresses loud noises. You can actually adjust the compression range(DB) and a few other things on them. The insta-mold plug is a custom fit for your ears. I went snow goose hunting the other day and after a while I had to check to see if they were still in my ears. That's how comfortable they were for me. They really enhance your hearing and compresses the shotgun blast to 85-95 DB depending on your setting. The cost was around $600 and well worth it. I have no affiliation with either company just a really good experience with Insta-mold. They even give you a 30 day money back guarantee. I have been using the pro ears electron muffs for years. They worked well but had to make custom warm hats to go over them. They also interfered with my gun mount. That created a bad habit of mounting my gun incorrectly. Any questions let me know. Mark

Last edited:
Back