Elk and Deer in Co

I will say this I felt like a pack horse after packing out one bull elk, 2 cows, and 2 deer........................... WOW what a trip this was.

I went for 10 days and averaged 7 miles of hiking a day.
The only guys that I know of that got elk, hiked in, sorry Road hunters just what not their year. I did not hear of one bull elk that was taken closer then 2 miles from the road….lol
So ya every night we would hear some of the road hunters crying how lean the Elk were this year, But it was funny by the end of the trip all of the guys that where hiking had their game hanging in camp…………………………

I may not be the best big game hunter……………………… but this trip all that hard work and hiking paid off.

By the end of the trip I was known around the camp area as the pack hours
I'll tell ya.................. those hind quarters were heavy, 2 miles in and 2 miles out................. I felt like a Pack animal………..

When I got there the altitude kicked my butt, see I live at sea level and we were at over 9000 feet……….. ended up with a migraine on the first day................. But I did not let that stop me,
I was there to hunt and no head ack was going to stop me....................

So the first day was REALY slow going, had to talk a lot of brakes, and tried to get acclimated to the thin air.

So second day we decide to hit the river bottom and hike up river...................... Nothing, but did see a lot of grate sign.

So on the 3 day, there was 3 of us and one is winning like a girl that he got nothing yet.................... (I guess we forgot to tell them this was hunting and not shooting.......... …..lol)

Well after the 3 day we all decided to brake up and cover more area.
So I go to the top of the mountain, my buddy Scott went up the river bottom............... and the winner went Road hunting. LOL

Well I just get up to where I wanted to hunt and I hear some shots way off in the distance....................... Then I here Scott on the radio……….
I need some mountain money..................... witch what code for I need your help like yesterday.
So know I had to hick back down the mountain 2 miles that I just done climbed...............and then hike over to where Scott what at........... another 2 miles form And then pack his elk out....................... Did about 9 miles that day................. Back pain OOO MY GOD did I fill that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So as others in camp shot some animals, I would hunt in the morning entail about 9 or 10am and then hike over to where their game was at and help them pack out their game,
Typically would do that tail about 3 to 4 and go back hunting again.....................

Needless to say I made some grate new friends and had a grate time.......................
Buy this time we have 3 days left and I have not seen anything to shot at yet, but was still having one hell of a trip. I was not worried about having shooting anything at this point, it was know just about being there and helping out old and new friends.
I know I would go home with meat because we made a deal in the beginning that we would all share the meat that we got and if pack out all that meat what my place on this trip then so be it.
Then it happened a nice 200+ pound 4X3 stepped out form behind the trees…………. I see the rack and say to my self…………. it’s a shooter. And BANG!!!!! It only made it about 20 YRDs the bullet when right though its hart and lungs and broke his right shoulder. My excitement level went throw the roof……. Got a case of the giggles that only my wife would understand. I know I made a grate shot and all the hard work finely came to pay off. With my first Co deer.
The next day was way different, I decided to try a little Ca style of hunting witch is more spot and stock. So I found me a nice place to sit, where I had a grate view I will post some of the pictures of the view I had from there……….. WOW is all I can say about it.
After about 4 hours of sitting and scoping the area I see, my bull…………….but like at 1000 yrds away, and it is walking away form me……………… all I could think to do was place a shot in front of him, but I only know my ballistics out to 600 yrds…………….. well I was a good guesser because I placed it about 10 feet right in front of him………he turned around and ran at full speed right at me (I’m thinking to myself holy SH it worked) I have my cross hairs on him at about 600 yards but he just keeps coming…………. then he must of smelled me because at 298 yrds he came to died stop…….. put his noise in the air and…………………. BANG I shoot

He did not take a step, he fell right in his tracks………………………………….. it took me 2 days to pack him out…………….. and I have never felt more complete as a hunt as I did at the end of that pack.

Sorry for being so long winded, but this was one of my best hunt I have ever been on.

Here are the pictures and both of them are already at the Taxidermy

Elk 07 002lowres.jpg
Elk 07 007lowres.jpg
Elk 07 014lowres.jpg
Elk 07 069lowres.jpg
Elk 07 079lowres.jpg

Awesome, Job that is the way to get it done. I hunted CO. for elk once with the bow cant wait to get back. Hutn the wicthmatall (sp) wilderness region out of durango. I need ot find some guys to make a trip like that with. The guys I hunt with want nothing to do with doing there self.

2yellowdogs

I do once in a while. Nice elk and deer ya have there. Sounds like you are in damn good shape to go from sea level to 9000 feet and be able to pack that meat out. Next time I go to the mountains, I'll hire you to come along and play!

I do work for free trips....................lol

I am good shape........... not grate shape,

I have already booked next years trip with the camp its a grate deal. we pay for out cabin and it includes your dinner each night. it was 3 guys to a cabin and it worked out to $18.33 a night and if they run out of cabins then they have full hook ups for trailers and RV's. heres a pic of the cabin we stayed in

Elk 07 096lowres.jpg

Last edited:
You said before you left that you do your best and it looks like it paid off for you and your friends. Congrads.

Dave

thank you, some day I am in hope I will be able to hunt with a few of you or a few of you can come hunt with me in SoCal.

I always give it my all, and am always looking to help another hunter out.
3 of the animals that I help pack out where for guys I have never even met before................. I am one of those that believes in what comes around goes around. and the next person that I lend a hand to might just turn out to be my next best hunting buddy.

Stop it................. your making me blush.

No I'm just a guy that loves my sport of hunting and I am in hope that I can give some of the burning desire I have, back to the hunting community to help it grow.

Back