English Labs in the Midwest

Looking for a new hunting companion in the midwest. Weekend of fathers day I had to put my lab down after being diagnosed with lyme disease 10 days earlier at age 6 1/2. I am looking for a breeder with the stocky shorter legged chocolates. If you happen to know anyone with dogs of this type and or kennels it would be much appreciated. Located in NW Indiana. Thanks Markus

Markus
I live here in England and I have a English lab and she is the best you can get, she is a pure Drakeshead, but let me tell you we dont have any good chocolate labs over here in the UK and the two main coulers for English labs are black and yellow.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

Sorry to hear about you dog

I have a english chocolate lab that is 5 1/2 years old that I got from www.TLClabradors.com. She weights 70# and she has alot of drive and loves to hunt. I have a dog from Tidex Mr. Charlie Brown-MH. Mark and Traci with TLC Labs are good to work with.

Their is a add in the back of the Wildfowl magazine that you can check out.

Markus,
first, very sorry to hear about your dog and the Lyme. That is just so hard to take. Both my recent dogs have had health issues that were born from the ticks.

Do a search on the Drakeshead line in England. They have very nice dogs and are written about quite a bit. I didnt remember seeing a lot of chocolate dogs in their line.
Eddie is close to them and has one of their pups.

I have a friend who has a dog from the Windrose Kennels here in the USA. Do a bit of reading on their site. The Windrose dogs are smaller, in the 49 to 55 lb class. Very nice dogs.

English to me means something different than what a lot of breeders here are pushing with their efforts.

Lastly, whatever color or sex it is, a new wiggling pup is a good way to help ease the hard times after a loss. I always wait too long to get re started.

Markus
Im sorry to hear about your dog looing it to the dreaded lyme disease, we dont seam to have that problem over hear to much but if I have been anywhere with my dog that has got sheep and cattle I always tend to check them over at the end of the shoot and look for any ticks plus any cuts and make sure their pads are OK. Here is a link for the Drakeshead Kennels ( www.Drakeshead.co.uk ) and I hope you get a pup very soon.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its al about Building that Bond.

Real sorry to hear about having to put the pup down. Were there other complications besides the lyme? My setter is going on 11, and has lyme since 12 weeks of age.

"You might call Duck Hill kennels (Robert Milner) in Tennessee." Second this recommendation.

Just finished reading Robert Milner's 'Back to Basics'. Some great common sense and very sound advise for the waterfowl hunter. He is also breeding some labs specifically for layout boats and canoes.

Best - Paul

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Always difficult to lose a good friend and hunting partner.

I will be picking up a pup from Duck Hill Kennels in August. Excellent English bloodlines. Mr Milner advocates 100% positive training, and offers a puppy headstart program that in my opinion is so simple that it's brillant. The headstart program is the reason I chose to get a pup from him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any Chocolate pups. I picked a Fox Red (dark reddish yellow) female.

Check out his website @ duckhillkennels.com or go to youtube and search for Duck Hill Kennels.

Best of luck with your search.

Tim

Sorry for your loss, they are part of your family.

Dave DeHoster Springfield Kennels, Port Huron area of Mich, 810-385-7007, is a great source of Labs.

Thanks for all your help and kindness. He was diagnosed with full blown lyme when I brought him in as he was having trouble walking (swollen joints)and that happened overnite. I kept him in for 7 days on an IV with the vet giving him heavy doses of Doxycycline. His eating was limited but not where he was down to skin and bones. Started vomitting clear liquid and his gums went pale . The vet told me that he was anemic (did a blood test) due to the red blood cells being attacked by the white bloodcells since the lyme had attached itself to the red blood cells. There was nothing more that could be done.

Back