evinrude 6hp service help

bob welsh

Worked on getting the motors in ship shape today. The 71/2 Merc fired right up and was good. The evinrude fired up but wouldnt pump water. I cleaned the pickup screen .pulled the lower unit off . The impeller seems rubbery and pliable. I even took the thermostat off and put it in hot water to check and see if it had siezed, nope all good. Put her back together and still no water. The only think i am thinking is that the impeller is no turning. Should there be a pin or key that runs through the shaft. There is a keyway on the impeller hub and a mark on the shaft where a pin is and may have sheared. I put it away last season after running ice then overheating and stopped. Hitting the ice may have done it. Any shade tree mechanics out there?

Any chance mud daubers or bees have built a nest or clogged the outlet hole? Fish a weedwhacker line up there and make sure it clear.

the pee'r is an indicator showing the pump is working if it is clogged the pump could be still working feel the mid section while running to know for sure & you can do a parts look up on boats.net for the answer to missing part. & good luck

All good suggestions. I back flushed the motor by running a hose up against the pick up screen. No blockage. I must have removed the leg 4 or 5 times. The last time I took it off I pushed the gear rod to the forward position and chucked the driveshaft into my cordless drill. I submerged the leg in a 5 gallon bucket and gave it a spin. Hardly any water came out of the top of the housing. I put the lowed unit in the car to get parts at the evinrude shop. I bring the thing in and the tech looks at it and says its the housing for sure. It's all scared up and pitted. There is an updated kit with all the guts. Go home and install it. By now I can do this procedure blindfolded. Put it in a tank, actually one of those square garbage cans, perfect for outboards. It now pumps great. This model is a 1973 and instead of a pee port it just spits water out the back of the upper leg housing.

Bob,

Doing the same service to my '66 Kiekhafer Mercury Merc 110 (9.8 hp.... but I think they were wrong, it should read "98 lbs"!)

Guessing the lower unit hasn't been off in, oh, 48 years :)

Any recommendations for degreasing/regreasing, drying out, etc. while the lower unit is off? Nothing looks bad, just gunked. Or is there a risk of messing up a system with clean parts?

Glad your p'er is working!

Rob_F

Back