Favorite feature of your small duck boat?

ed gagne

I have a 16' all glass merrymeeting bay style two cockpit sculler that I will hopefully be rehabing and hunting again next year. While I have it torn apart (the top and bottom halves need to be remated) I have the opportunity to add some things to it. I was wondering what the establishment loves about their small craft and why. I'm looking for what type of boat you have what you hunt and why the feature you love about your boat works so well for what you do. Pictures would also be helpful.
Thanks
Eddie

Good morning, Ed~

I do not have a scull boat but thought I would respond to your request in a general way - that runs across many of the different gunning boats I have built, owned or worked on.

One trait is to have a place for everything you will have aboard while gunning. For example:

~ shelves for gloves, binoculars, shells, water bottle, lantern, etc.

~ dry storage for my coat or anything else (canvas cockpit cover) I want to keep dry - when in heavy weather or picking up the rig or clambering in and out of the boat. I usually have a bulkhead with a high (3 inches) threshold so bilge water could not sluice up forward - and the opening begins a couple of inches forward of the deck so rain and snow are less likely to get up there.

~ chocks for things I do not want bouncing or creeping around when under power. I am building some for a forward gas tank right now and my "big anchor" (seldom used but a critical safety feature) in my Sneakbox. The latter is lashed in place over the neatly coiled rode - so just a couple of tugs on slipped square knots and no rat's nest when I do need it.

~ chocks or holders for my oars and pushpole.

~ fire extinguisher mounted out of the way but not right near the motor of gas tank in case I did have a fire

Other things on most of my boats:

~ a canvas bucket and sponge. I use this for cleaning and getting all of the water out of the boat - but the bucket could be a lifesaver if I ever swamped.

~ a cockpit cover for trailing and storage. I am partial to canvas (Sunbrella) but rigid wood or 'glass (or aluminum) have their places. Key is that they keep weather and vermin out. And, quick and easy to deploy. I like canvas because a) it takes minimal storage space so can travel with me, and b) I can use it for other purposes in a pinch. I have used it to sleep under and also to rig on the weather side of the cockpit when crossing the bay in heavy seas.

~ toolbox with first aid kit, rags, registration

~ spray dodger on my Sneakbox - just for running - to keep seas (and spray) where they belong. I hunt with it folded down onto the foredeck.

~ low canvas "cowl" - like a low dodger but to hide the outline of my head

~ lap canvas to hide me from my chest down in boats where I am hiding on my back (Sneakbox, Scooter)

~ pushpole with "duckfoot" - for my Sneakbox and my canoes

Sorry I do not have time for photos right now - but a lot of these features are on my website.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve. Those are all great ideas. I'm hoping to do the tear down and make the additions this winter and glass it in the spring as I don't have a heated area to work in. I'm super excited about getting back to carving/working on that boat this winter, almost more then hunting right now.

Eddie

I don't have a custom marsh boat, but I hunt out of a MoMarsh Fatboy. I agree with the post above about engineering a place for everything. If I were to customize my boat, the first things I would add are chocks for a primary and secondary anchor, a false or raised floor to keep the dog and me out of the water, a secure dry shelf for shells, fore and aft spud pole holes so I could stake that rig down exactly where I want it, and a cradle to hold my ditch bag.

I have a Brant II sculler (same style)...First, I made a front cockpit cover out of 1/4 plywood. Another great idea for that boat is a spray skirt. Mine came from the factory with one. On windy day's in chop it's worth its weight. Lock Stock and Barrel should be able to show you one. I have two bungee cords that run clear from the bow to the transom, down the sides. Many times in the marsh I just hook the cord over a log and I'm basically anchored. I also stuff grass under it to grass up. Has a million uses. -Seth

Back