February "What's on your Workbench?"

Tropical 20 degrees here today actually felt nice in the unheated garage. Tried to fix a couple spalt cracks from the inside after hollowing the top half.

P1030200.jpg

Got it bondo'd and epoxied am hoping in the morning to clean it up and see what will happen, it may get to be burned after the kids have a mock Salem trial.

P1030202.jpg

Well been burlapping and painting 36 Herters suc-duc snow geese I picked up this winter, only 10 left to go.

IMG_5094.jpg

Great looking rig Craig... I once visited the Herters factory and watched them do the burlapping. They used MarbleMastic as the compound to bind/glue the burlap to the decoy. Who da thought?

Thanks Dave and Andy. I took the rig out today, but didn't fire the gun. Why is it when I'm not hunting them there are crows everywhere!?

Last edited:
Pictures dont do the Owl justice really cool in person nice job on the crows, funny those decoys are alot nicer than the real thing LOL
I've been working on this rig for quite awhile. Not your run of the mill gunning rig..............The folky owl is 24"and hollow carved, with a deer antler beak. The crows are life-sized with the same construction, all oil painted.

owlrigsm.jpg

owl3sm.jpg.w560h373.jpg

owl4sm.jpg

owl2sm.jpg

crow4sm.jpg

Thanks Dave and Andy. I took the rig out today, but didn't fire the gun. Why is it when I'm not hunting them there are crows everywhere!?

Do you have a crow call? When I lived on the coast, I could bring them in from miles around with a call. However, I never did shoot one. I eat enough crow as it is without bringing more home.

Do you have a crow call? When I lived on the coast, I could bring them in from miles around with a call. However, I never did shoot one. I eat enough crow as it is without bringing more home.

Yes, I do have a call. The other day when I was walking the dog, I blew a three note CAW, and had about a dozen crows in short order. We have a storm front moving though yesterday and today, so I think the crows are roosted up somewhere else.

Great work guys. I always love to see what others are doing...

Here is another Jersey Style decoy. It may be a little to fancy for the coast, but I enjoyed working on the coloring for the back. Hollow cedar and oils.

WD-1002-3-1.jpg

WD-1002-5-1.jpg

WD-1002-4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, I do have a call. The other day when I was walking the dog, I blew a three note CAW, and had about a dozen crows in short order. We have a storm front moving though yesterday and today, so I think the crows are roosted up somewhere else.

I am not pretending to be an expert, but on a call I would basically sound like a crow either getting very excited or getting the crap beat out of it. The louder and more desperate the calling the better it seemed to work. The crows coming in would practically dive bomb me to seem what was up. Ah, good times.

Great stuff, this is one of the best threads each month.

My monthly not duck painting.
A little 4x6 Tiger Barb, acrylic on art board.

0208012300-1.jpg

Tim

Maybe I'm going a little crazy with cabin fever... but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Upper 30s in the forecast, they better not be wrong.

A little Neon Tetra, am I thinking a little too much about tropical weather? :)

0210012251-2.jpg

Tim

Back