February "What's on your Workbench?"

Love that black Charles.

Preener007.jpg

Charles, the blacks are really coming along.
Ron, I like that pose...may have to try one soon.

Here is the last of my work this month, a pair of drake King Eiders. One is headed for Minnesota and the other has been claimed by my youngest son for "his" hunting rig...he's 4 1/2.
The rose color on the breast is washed out in this pic but is present on the decoys.

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey bob,

my cousin and I went to a woodshop over the weekend so he could pick up some tools and we happened to pass by some really small pieces of wood cut out, maybe 6" by 2" or smaller than that, but feeling the difference in some of the exotic woods compared to some more common woods was amazing and I was wondering wat some advantages/disadvantages are to building calls out of more dense wood and how they sound compared to other types of wood?

call-548a.jpg

Here is the finished product of the block I showed at the beginning of the month;
This is double dyed, acrylic stabilized, Big Leaf Maple Burl. Stainless steel band.

Her is a palm frond that I am working on. It will be a Green Wing Teal drake when finished. It is my first frond so there is a lot of learning going on. I burned my feathers in and the eyes and head are set, still trying to figure out keel, sealing, paint.......it will all work out. Besides......it's the first frond.

dc

image.gif

View attachment Palm frond decoy 001.JPG

Last edited:
its been a long time since i got any decoys done. just barley made the Feb workbench. i truley enjoy seeing everyones great work. hopefully Mr. L will start off March with more eye candy tommorrow.
001-1.jpg

2012-02-27152038.jpg

Back