February Workbench Thread

Finally got to see some of Furia's work in person when hanging out with Hitch last year. Inspiring stuff. Master with an airbrush, he doesn't over do it like so many do, perfect balance between it and paintbrush.

Pat, thanks for the kind words. Jim Wicks carved a number of birds, but he loved ringnecks, particularly in the later years of his hunting decoy carving interval. One thing I always enjoyed beyond his birds; he spun a very good story...

Some Redheads for Pat...

15-RH01%20amp%20RH02-1_zps52fs0gvr.jpg

15-RH01-1_zpsxqdjef6n.jpg

15-RH02-1_zpsngvflwu0.jpg

Awesome Geoff! They look incredible! I already have big plans to float them. Ontario, Wisconsin, Illinois and Mississippi Rivers and our annual diver trek to the south. Might want to put wooden strip keels on them as they will float some big water. Can't wait to see them with skins on... Pat

Ok Here we go.
I dug all my carving gear out of the nooks and crannies where my wife had stowed it 10 years ago when I ran out of time for carving due to a career change.

This is a redhead decoy I started and never finished.
I think it was my first in white cedar.

It was begun as a gift for a friend to commemorate a hunting trip we had just returned from.
Its meant to be a decorative decoy but it is hollowed weighted and balanced to be self righting and could be hunted.

I textured it heavily to try make up for my lack of painting skills.

Any critiques are welcome,

Thanks,
Mike

Probably a little prouder of this than I should be. The start of a new venture- carving my own decoy heads. The beginning of a Bufflehead, following the Steve Sanford tutorial.

image.jpg1_zpstrqvqkde.jpg

Last edited:
RLLigman

Heads are Jelutong
Bodies are Northern White Cedar
Bottom boards are Aspen

I think it is OK to mix species if they have similar qualities. For example...All three woods have similar "hardness" so sanding from one side of the seam to the other has the same effect. If you glue a harder wood next to softer one, it is hard to remove material equally and have a smooth seam. I also think they flex and expand/contract at similar rates. Helping to avoid separation and splits and checks down the road.

I so much enjoy looking at the work of all of you here. The talent level is just mind-boggling to me.

I am such a hacker of decoys.

Thank you all for sharing your pictures. Your work is inspiring. It is one of the reasons I love the whole experience of duck hunting.

“Look beneath the surface; let not the several quality of a thing nor its worth escape thee.” - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

All I can say is that Ol' Marcus must have been a wood-turner! Here's another inlaid duck & goose matched set of calls from that striped maple salvaged from the fire. It looked like it might be a good chunk, but one never knows until the turning starts. Just look at that flame!:

View attachment Stripedmaple15.jpg

Hey Mike if need to get that clutter out of your house just send it on over to Bloomington, I'd be glad to get it out of your way! : )

Looks great!

Tim

Hey Mike if need to get that clutter out of your house just send it on over to Bloomington, I'd be glad to get it out of your way! : )

Tim

pretty sure my wife wishes she would have had your address about now.
No heat in the barns so you can guess where the wood shavings are flying.

at least now the new shop is on the fast track.

mike

Tim

pretty sure my wife wishes she would have had your address about now.
No heat in the barns so you can guess where the wood shavings are flying.

at least now the new shop is on the fast track.

mike

I'm having the same problem. I am up to two heads mostly complete. One I did in a hotel last night and one in my basement tonight.

I need to figure out how to hear my garage!

Back