Feeding wild ducks

Ira

I didn't mow any clearing but there are some low spots where I expect the plants to be almost or completely under water thus leaving landing areas and water visible overhead. Also, there are some areas that have no sorghum, just millet which I expect will fall over leaving clearings. If the openings aren't big enough it will be yet another lesson learned for next year.

Eric

Here is something to think about. I dont know how big a plot this is, but you might map out the areas that you want food in for next year. Plant those areas and leave the areas that you want to show water and to hunt (decoy pool.) Then, you can mow off the moist soil in those areas before you add water since it will just be native moist soils. Then, you have nice clean water for hunting and show. It also helps food wise as there are seeds from the moist soil and probably more importantly, invert bloom from the mowed vegetative matter.

Tell Thomas that we are just finishing up another duck DVD. I think he will like it. It has lots of theory, conservation and management focus. Also, some good family stuff and of course hunting!

Best, Ira

Ira

The food plot is about 7 acres plus some flooded timber and a few clearings on the edges. Mark mentioned the same thing as you back when I got started. I'll definitely implement something like that next year.

Thanks for the input and I'll tell Thomas he's got something to look forward to from Habitat Flats.

Eric

Great stuff Eric. Looks really strong. I hope you and Thomas have a great time this season hunting there, and I can't wait to see the hunting photos with the water. Hitch

Back