Fishing out of duck boat

To my everlasting regret, splake are stocked pretty widely in Maine. Maine is fairly careful about where they put them, typically in water where neither brook trout nor lake trout show decent growth. Splake can tolerate warmer water than lake trout, will feed on just about anything, and grow faster than either brook trout or lake trout, but they are god-awful ugly and bred in test tubes.

On the brook trout, Maine primarily stocks "Maine hatchery strain". I'm not sure of the origins, but it's been in the Maine hatchery system a long time. I have heard the original stock may have come from New Jersey, but have no idea is that is true. Maine also has two strains in the hatchery derived from wild Maine stock--Kennebago and Nesowadnehunk. They are used in areas where stocked trout might interact with wild fish. The Kennebagos are used lot in western Maine in the upper Androscoggin watershed; the Nesowadnehunks in and around Baxter State Park.

On a bright note, took the season's first brook trout today. 4", but it was a native from the local stream. Still snow on the banks, so I was not expecting much.

Thanks, Troy and Jeff.

Most of the locals here fish splake via a catch and keep approach and coaster brook trout via catch and release.

Back