Five Months....where does the time go?....

Steve Sutton

The Beastie is now approaching 6 months....it's amazing how time flies by and how quickly you realize that while you know you can train a Lab you don't have a clue what you're doing with a new breed...several people that I respect had answered my questions on how bad I was handicapping "B" by her not having been introduced to birds before we head West in Sept. by saying that she'd be fine.....others said anything that I could do before then would shorten her learning curve once there...since I don't have the ability to keep Quail or Pigeons and since "B's" only contact with birds was with the Doves in the yard...and Lizards the child loves Lizards....I finally decided she needed to spend some time with a trainer who could give her that early exposure to birds and that would work with me when I picked her up so that we'd both know what the heck we were doing...or at least sort of know....when we got to Montana.....

I picked Hunter Payne in Tennessee after talking to several people who had had heir dogs with him and then started working on trying to convince Debby that a month with him was the best thing for "B" and that we weren't abandoning her and that she'd still be "B's" Mom when she got back.....took awhile but she finally gave in and we took her up to Hunter in June for Doggie Summer Camp.....first time I've ever not been the trainer on a dog and that stung my ego but I really didn't want her not to have been introduced to birds and I knew I wasn't going to be able to do that..at least not to the extent of unlimited birds for 30 straight days......Cost me a week at the beach with Debby as "penance" but both were time well spent......

Picked her up in July after her month and spending the morning with her and Hunter and watching her on birds proved the value of the decision.......

Here she is at five months....the Devine Miss B......

Let me out and I'll show you what I learned......
1-B-five%20mos-12rs_zps35qracll.jpg

And she's off........

2-B-five%20mos-2rs_zpsqgsa45dj.jpg

that smells good.....

3-B%20five%20mos-10rs_zpsthh4frpg.jpg

lemme get a little closer.....GOT HIM....

4-B%20five%20mos-3rs_zps3choa7ok.jpg

off to find another.........

5-B%20five%20mos-1a-rs_zpsk8cccfrj.jpg

Got that one too....

8-B%20five%20mos-3rsa_zpserk9lmyq.jpg

Quail are so much better than Doves and Lizards.....

9-rs_zpsmwzp50rm.jpg

One last one before we have to leave...

11-B%20five%20mos-6rs_zpsbxvn3riu.jpg

This is Hunter....Hunter hates dogs...dogs hates Hunter....can you tell?....

Hunter-rs_zpsy4q2pg39.jpg

How about a HIGH FIVE for that performance.....

14-B-five%20mos-rs_zpsvsn7ryhr.jpg

Back at the kennel there was this cage full of cuteness and future potential.....

kennel%20full%20of%20precious-rs_zpsxrecoe9a.jpg

Had Debby not been with me I'm pretty sure this on would have come home with us......

please%20gimme-rs_zpsgyybnssh.jpg

Debby had been worried that "B" wouldn't remember her when she got back and that she wouldn't be a sweet little dog anymore.....I believe this answers that.....

17-rs_zpsamcmjeng.jpg

She's currently all legs and deep chest and wasp waist and silky hair......a gem in the rough that we'll start polishing in September in Montana.....

Steve

The Beast sure has gotten big!!!!!!!!! I sure hope I get to hunt behind her this year in Montana

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

I be she will do just fine in Montana.

That last point photo does "it" for me. I could look at dogs like that all day.
She has grown a lot. I like how freckled she is getting, that will make it harder to see the dirt on her. :)

Tim

That picture of her on point is awesome !

Just about makes me want to go get a pointer!

They do appreciate you,the couch and the bed more when they come home from Summer camp tho.
Getting big

Thanks for sharing Steve

Great recap and pictures Steve. That last photo on point is a classic, great shot. Have a great season this fall.

Back