Gang line drop cord length

Ryan Walter

I've rigged up my divers with 18" droplines to tie into my gang lines. I'm starting to second guess the length. What do the rest of you run? I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone 24 or 30 inches. Don't want the dog dragging them around...
Thanks
Ryan

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I have a small (60lb) blf, but sounds like I'd better make them longer...
Ryan

One thing I do with my dogs is go to a shallow pond...with a firm bottom so I can walk out. I rig a long line and practice with the dog. Giving them a line to the dummy across the long line. Gives them an idea of what to do when they hit one. No matter how deep the lines are it seems that a dog will get into whatever you figure they won't. As everyone said...I rig mine at least 3'.

Ryan,
Mine are 24" to 36", made them up at different times,some were tied directly to the mainline i have switched over to long line clips and snap swivels, makes it a lot easier if they get tangled.
Bill.

Mine are 30 inches too, I like to be able to drift over them with the BBSB, motor down and not get hung up. I would not try to motor through them though.... if I catch and drag while drifting, simply popping the motor gets me free... hate to tangle the prop!

I used to run 36" but changed to 24". My dog had no problems going over the mainline. The problem I had was hunting current. Rivers or tides. The current would pull the decoy and the dropper would run at an angle. The dog would swim next to a decoy and get caught on the dropper. By shortening the lines there seemed to be less chance of the dog being caught in the dropper. My old dog was tall for a lab don't how tall but taller than most. This only matters if you are hunting in current. Plus the shorter droppers were less likely to get tangled in the totes that I store the decoys in.

Back