go home fool

Todd Duncan Tennyson

In the fog,

I peer through the windshield wondering where the road is.

Alex is still asleep, curled up on the waders and my heavy coat.

He wakes for a moment. Closes his eyes and drifts with the fog.

I am alone, no buddies could attend, and Navigation is just about not possible.
The worst fog I have ever encountered in my 38 years.

With the window down, I can hear, but I still can not see.

The air is cold on my cheeks, and the trailer creaks and groans, chains clank against the cold metal, and the whole rig surges with the weight of the duckbomber.

Studded tires claw at the ground, but they are as lost as I am. Going 20 feet at a time, looking for the lines on the road, driving by braille.

The fog sleeps in the hollows and coves, building up like a drift of snow. She slipped into the valley when the lights went out last night.

Now she has everything turned around.

I have been in the water with this type of fog.

Up and down are no longer guaranteed, they must be questioned and cross checked, and It is a tough deal to run the boat, cross check the instruments and make ones way in these conditions out on the big water.

I thought about it for a few minutes, and even pulled over to rest my eyes and listen to mexican music that made its way to my radio somehow.

Accordions and guitar lost in the fog with me, bouncing from Mexico city on the Ionosphere, safe in the pre dawn, and from far away across the sage and hillsides with the coyotes and Jackrabbits.

I got out and opened the door behind the drivers seat. Alex looked up at me and I said "sorry man, I want to go, but I am not ready for this".

Alex is a seasoned and wise hound. He yawned a half breed yawn, stretched his legs and said "don't sweat it, lets bag it and come back another day. Besides, we can still eat some of that duck that we made yesterday."

I gave him a pat on the head, and in agreement, we turned the duckbomber around on the highway, and limped on home through the fog. I still couldn't see a thing.

I do not think I have ever done this before.
Oh, I have waited an hour on anchor in the channel so that I could find the shore, listening to wings overhead, wondering where I was, where the north star was.
Wondering if Orion was lost too, Perhaps everything was lost.

Perhaps it was just me.

We made our way back to the house and I managed to back my boat into the fence (so I have that going for me).

Was glad to fall into bed next to Anya.

She slept through the entire adventure, but said that I was a wise man to listen to all of the clues that I got along the way, and to come home alive to hunt another day.

I have flipped my rig in the snow with a boat in tow, (Alex was there for that too, and sleeping as usual).

These days, when that little voice inside says "go home fool" I do.

I used up my stupid luck a long time ago.

We'll try again another day.

Thank you Tod, glad to see you posting again. I always really enjoy reading your stories. Sometimes I worry that I am too thick headed to listen to the voice inside.

Wow Todd, I thought I was the only one with enough good sense to know when to not go. I have had the trailer tires wet and decided that it was just to lonesome a place to go at that moment. Good judgement.

When I saw this post, I could hardly wait to begin reading it. Thanks so much, Todd. I sure did enjoy it. I did that same thing just last year when it snowed down here. I, too, turned around and went home. However, I couldn't get back up the hill and had to walk to the house, with Chili at my side.
Good to have you posting again.
Al

Good work Todd. Here's my favorite line-"[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Wondering if Orion was lost too"[/font]

Todd,

Nice to see you again and thanks for this story. Very appropriate this year. I don't know what it is but I've been having discussions with my buddys about that "one little thing" that could go wrong and cause a disaster during a hunt. We all know those "If only I had ___________", we wouldn't be in this pickle right now. Whether its weather or equipment or even health related, I try to be in tune and not ignore that intuitive voice of reason. I too feel that I have used up a lot of stupid luck over the years.

Nice story! Reminded me of an experience with launching a boat into thick fog. A buddie of mine and I lauched my 14ft Starcraft into cove on an extremely foggy and windless day. From the few seconds it took me to push off from shore my boat had unknowingly turned about 90 degrees. We started up the motor and creeped off into the soup into the early morning darkness. I couldn't be more disoriented and visually impaired than if I had a blind fold on. I was going on instinct reckoning. To make a long story short, we ended up in the back end of the cove and had to pull the boat along the shore several hundred yards trying to keep the faint outline of trees in sight. If we ventured just a few feet away from the shore we were totally blind. The scary thing is if had went 90 degrees in the opposite direction we could've gone for miles out in the middle of the lake.

my iphone saved my butt a few weeks ago. we had to go way out into a bay to follow a channel at low tide and my buddies idea of left and right was a little confused so we spent 20 minutes doing circles till we finnaly found our way. pea soup was an understatement.

today wasnt much better but we could follow the river bank

Anyone used a GPS in fog like that? Does it still pick up the satellites?

Dave Diefenderfer

GPS has worked fine for me in the fog. Saved my butt from spending the night on the river one time. Fog rolled in and I would not have made it back to the ramp with out the guidence from my GPS.

Last edited:
GPS absolutely works in the fog. That is the prime reason I put GPS on my big boat - fear of fog out on Lake Michigan and Erie. Saved my butt a couple of times. During duck season I move it from boat to boat depending on where I am. Just yesterday on the Mississippi River in the fog I used a combo of my GPS (for it's map + location) and a compass to find the spot I was going to. I have a GPS with an add on for lakes and Great Lake navigation that has integral maps. It's great navigating in the fog or in the middle of the night as it shows all the islands, channel markers, etc. There are places I hunt that I wouldn't want to attempt without it.

Anyone used a GPS in fog like that? Does it still pick up the satellites?

As has been said, they work and work well. I'm not good with a compass and chart, but I can use them to find shore if need be. I think back to soem of the times in fog and motoring and the "oh wow" now I see where I am. I'm glad it was never "oh wow a rock". I much prefer a GPS with charts on it. GPS with a depth finder and compass to confirm.

Todd, so glad to see you back on here. Hope you had a blast in your adventures to SEA. Stories of Alex are great. How is red dog doing????

Trip

Gentlemen,

Glad you can all relate to the fog story.
Trip,
The red dog is doing well, although with a new business, he has been spending most of the time with my mom (she walks about 8 miles a day, and he gets plenty of attention.)

Me and Anya steal him a couple days a week and we are looking forward to a vacation in Late Jan (Anya is back to Thailand to help with her mom and get her sister moved in to a new place.)

Should be able to squeeze in a week of chukar and huns and maybe quail. If nothing else, then we will get back to basics and chase Jackrabbits out East of the Cascades and camp in the back of the truck.

I might poach a coyote, I am not sure yet.

I might just kill a few winter steelhead out here on the Umpqua or rogue if they are not blown out and chocolate milk by then.

Great read...I once heard my innerself tell me to go home one morning...delaware river freezing temps..slippery ramp truck and trailer slidding....finally got it in the water and the steering cable froze up in the middle of the river...I used a paddle to steer the DH-15 while my brother inlaw throttle it to the ramp...I still did'nt listen...went home got the other boat came back by myself and killed a boat full of mallards that morning....when i went to pull the boat out..one of my truck tires was flat...i did'nt get mad....just shook my head the whole time,i was changing it....Russ

Back