Good day on the Columbia

This is my first thread hear a DuckBoats.net, so I figure I should start with an introduction. I'm from Moses Lake WA, this is my third season hunting ducks and my first with a boat. I have a three year old black lab. Cassidy and I love the sport and family loves the meat. Its a win-win-win. I'm married and have a 20 month old daughter, future cougar and duck hunter ( I hope).

So anyway, I took the boat out yesterday on the Mid-Columbia. Cassidy and I had a great day. Motored to a spot where ducks alway like to hang out. Problem is hunting the flat shoreline when the water is down. Without any vegeatation for yards, it hard to hide. My solution was to bring my layout blind I use for field hunts, applied a little mud and the ducks didn't seem to notice. It was nice because I was really mobile and could move with the shifting water levels. All in all we bagged 3 mallards and one widgeon. It was a blue bird day so I was happy I brought my sunglasses.

View attachment DUCK BOAT.jpg
View attachment DUCK BOAT2.jpg

I'm not a good caller so I rely more on being in the right spot and hiding really well. That was my plan for yesterday and it came together nicely. I should of had a limit but my poor shooting is to blame for it. Most of the ducks around here are shy of the shoreline so I let them swim into the decoys and bust them when they're taking off.

Last edited:
Brad, Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good time. Nothing like spending a day on the river with mans best friend. Next time lets see some pics.
Gary march

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
OK...why didn't my photos post? I uploaded them and clicked inline, they didn't exceed the 100KB limit either...
Brad,
The most likely reason your photos did not show up is because you did not complete the process.

It is a three step process, "
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] I uploaded them and clicked inline," that covers the first two steps (which ,as you did, are actually done in one step).

The next step is to actually insert your photos into the body of you post. You can still get your pictures to come up in your original post. To do this, go back to your post and click on "edit post". Once the new window opens you can now add your pictures into the body of your post.

Step (1) Move your cursor the the place in your post where you wish to insert one of your pictures.
Step(2) Click on the picture frame icon in the tool bar above the message pane. A pop up window will appear asking you where the photo is located.
Step (3) Click on "in-line" and a second popup window will appear listing the photos you have uploaded.
Step (4) Click on the photo you wish to insert into you posting. DONE, your photo should now appear in the body of your post.

Repeat the above process for each photo you have uploaded. You can change the location with-in the body of your post as suits you for each picture. Just change the location of your cursor with-in the body of your message prior to inserting the picture.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy.

BTW, Nice report, anxiously awaiting the photos. :>) :>) and welcome to the site.

[/font]

Ok here are some observations I made during this hunt. Ducks are shy of the shoreline and I can completely understand why. So how do bring them in closer?

I was hunting a point had my decoys out, looking back a little too far straight out, next time they will be closer in and more to my sides off the point. The ducks seemed to fly along the edge of decoys or flare as they reached them and circle around and land outside.

My question is in this type of environment, would I be better off in a low profile layout boat inside my deke spread and/or outside of them? What type of layout boat would work good for this?

Might try to find a bush on the shoreline and hide under it. Also get a widgeon whistle, easy to use and will bring other things in. Congrats on your day.

Back