good start to the new year

Gene Jr.

I got out on the bay late today and decided to try a mid day hunt for old squaw and brant. I set a line of OS dekes with a few scoters mixed in. Before I got the brant line rigged I saw a OS hen coming over the dekes with the flap down. As she flared off the boat I dropped a single shell in the chamber of the Benelli and folder her up right at the head of the longline. A nice start!

I picked up the hen and set the brant line and settled in. Wasn't long until a drake OS decided to join the imposters in front of the boat. He joined the hen in the boat as well. A little later another hen splashed into the blocks as well. All the while birds were trading around the bay but the action was a bit slow. A slightly long passing drake drew three loads of steel but all passed harmlessly just off the tip of his tail.

There was a very long slow spell as the tide changed and I decided to pull the line of brant. As always happens a few birds buzzed by while I was pulling the dekes in. As the last brant block came in the boat I spotted a flock of five OS off the stern. I dropped down and readied the gun. They hooked around the stern and started to pitch into the tail end of the line. I picked the middle bird as my target with the hope of a double or tripple on the remaining birds. As the gun recoiled I swung through to pick up another bird but only two were speeding away. There where three white heads bobbing off the end of the line. A follow up water swat put the heads down. I've scotch doubled a time or two but this is the first tripple, and in the air! They must have just hit the apex of the corner and lined up when I pulled the trigger. That was partly the plan but only to line up an easier double, not do it with one shot.

The best part was that I got a limit of birds with only missing one and not losing a single cripple. Not a small feat on sea ducks! It was a great hunt for the first day of the new year.

I hope everyone elses new year is starting good as well.

Gene

ps: Sorry for the lack of pics but I didn't have a camera along.

Last edited:
Gene...hope I can have half that hunt on the 14th...a triple...wow! I thought my brothers ruffed grouse double was a feat.....Snoshoe

Gene - well written and well hunted! I miss the Brant and sea ducks of the shore, but we sure have tides here in WA state- 10FT in some bays...glad the Benelli is tuned up, maybe the drop in the drink re-calibrated the gun a bit...just sayin...I've had scotch doubles on Brant, but that's not sayin much.. good shooting on the OS!
Happy New Year to you and your family Gene,
Dave

Back