Gorilla glue 4 hole repair?

Can't speak for the foamers, but for cork, if it is just some shot holes, I'd just put a drop of sealer over them. But if it is some bigger damage, I'd sand the paint off the area, then mix up some 2 part epoxy with some cork dust or wood flour, let it set for a couple minutes, while it is still workable, apply to the decoy and press into the damage areas.

Last edited:
Ok with the traditional methods but this thread was for gorilla glue, I've used it & it expands & doesn't run like water when it kicks like epoxies + no glaze 2 remove , just did an experiment with blue painters tape used 2 dam the glue & didn't stick to the tape, 2 much, experimenting to be continued

I'm with John C.
Fine saw dust and TB II or III works the best for me.
Used to use Gorilla but Tite Bond has proven much better for me, John

Here are my thoughts on the subject. If it was a wood boat with a hole would you use monkey glue to make a permanent patch.

Thx Tom 4 the encouragement 2 try something new & educate. That what was intended by this thread, not a bunch if spitballs, most can archive the above or already have worked with the other materials . This stuff expands is 100% waterproof ,no mixing ,easy to sand, paintable & light weight.I used it for building a gunning box & had 2 fill a void & it worked perfectly, so if it's not structural I would & have used it to fill a hole in a wood boat. Good stuff & thx again

If you have tested it so thoroughly why ask the question? If you want to educate us with these experiences then do so. There is no reason to be quirky or snide with your remarks. I understand it is what seems to be "cool" but coming off like an ass when others have provided information is not how things are usually done on this forum.

This is America u do things ur way & I do them mine & we don't go round calling people names ,don't bother me until u get some & try it

This is the United States and we type out words like adults. I have used differerent forms of the gorilla glue by at least two companies. I found it lacking when it came to the needs I demand out of the glue I use for making and repairing decoys. As I answered your first question, no I would not use it.

Please go ahead use what you are comfortable with in your extensive research. Share your expertise, just avoid talking down to others to exploit some hidden agenda.

Bill ,

I am in no way a decoy expert but i would use tight bond with soem cork dust i used this methid on an opld cork handle on a fly rod one time it worked greta and the Titebond it awesome glue , i think it is much beter tha Gorilla glue or Monkey glue whatever you want to call it . good luck

Dave M

Urethane glues will definitely fail in the weather. Bacteria seems to enjoy attacking the bond areas and will break it down in a short time. I used the glue to bond sanded plastics that stayed out for a short time in the weather and the bond failed terribly. Gorilla has many small air pockets that will actually absorb water and moisture. Urethane is an open celled foam. You can seal it with paint or some other sealer but if that seal fails, then the material can absorb moisture and fail.

This is the United States and we type out words like adults

God Bless America!

And yes, I agree with Tom that Gorilla Glue sucks. Any questions, feel free to reply in complete sentences.

Chuck

Oh I am sorry I've stepped on some peoples toes,wood decoys-wood glue, but polyurethane glue has its place and I'm standing my ground & gorilla glue is going to be my glue of choice for my herters divers & I also use a smarter than me phone for this so I abbreviate when I have to( I've , it's & I'm )

WHOA!

I've been gone for awhile...... busy still teaching the future Leaders of America, where I get an IDK on a test problem that the students cannot figure out. I just want to give Chuck a "heads up" that not only the future President and Congress members use these DumbPhone terms, but also notes from the administration.

I guess that I should be thankful that the IDK was not an IDN!

Glad to see that things are still running smooth on this site!!

Oh, and I never try to fill the shot holes on my decoys, after the two Masons I sold at the Minneapolis show. One was full of holes and the other was untouched. The "holier than thou" was the first to sell, and the gentleman that bought it said "I would have taken both of them, but the other one looked like it had no history to it!" I almost told him to come back tomorrow after I touched off a charge of 6's on it.

Art

Back