Got your own Carhartt Story?

Carl

Staff member
From my sister, a VP at Carhartt:

Good morning!

What better way to mark our 120th anniversary than with the launch of an online contest? We’re asking consumers to share their experiences with the brand through the My Carhartt Story contest. Please note: Carhartt employees and their household members may submit their stories, but cannot win. We’ve all heard inspirational, heroic, humorous and touching Carhartt stories; now we want consumers to share those stories with everyone and enter to win Carhartt products.

Participants can either submit a video through our microsite, www.mycarharttstory.com, or write a story (500 words or less) to enter. All participants must visit www.mycarharttstory.com to register video and written submissions.

Prizes for the video contest include:
  • 1st prize: $1,000 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • 2nd prize: $500 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • 3rd prize: $300 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • Top 10 contestants receive a waterproof breathable coat valued up to $140
Prize for the written story contest include:
  • 1st prize: $150 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • 2nd prize: $100 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • 3rd prize: $50 carhartt.com shopping spree
  • Top 10 contestants receive a Work-Dry ® t-shirt

Consumers can submit videos and stories through June 5. The eCommerce team will then choose the top 10 videos and post them to www.mycarharttstory.com for the online Carhartt community to vote on. Voting will take place June 13 – June 28 and the winners will be announced July 1.

Please let your family and friends know about the contest. We’d love to hear their Carhartt stories!

I don't enter contests but there are a lot of stories to be told about Carhartts. At one time they were my work uniform. Back in the seventys in a ship yard everyone wore Carhartts. One thing you never washed them and after six to nine months, well...They were coated with iron rust,oil, grease,anti seize. One looked like they just survived a earth quake and had just crawled out of the rubble. People welded,burned with torches,ground steel with out the fear of burning up. Once you washed them that was a different story. You would be lucky if they lasted two weeks.

In the eighties while walking out of a building past some scafolding. I caught a movement out of the corner of my eyes. No..that wasn't a man falling... I turned and looked not wanting to see what I thought I saw. There he was. One of the luckest guys I could set my eyes on. He had fallen fifteen feet backwards like a spinning ball. His Carhartts had caught on a rerod in the pants leg about five feet off the ground and he was hanging there upside down. The Carhartts had broken his fall. I helped him down as he was still hooked to the rerod. No bones broke but really shook up. That could have been a real career ender if not for the Carhartts.

No thanks to the recreation Dutch but I could help with the music score. Its called " The black booger blues" known to all that have ever worked in a ship yard. When I look back that was a earthreal experience. When I worked there the shipyards were booming. People every where, you could build things. The first thing when I came to the shipyard my assigned partner said You have to learn to survive, and went though the do's and don'ts. The ambulance came into the yard as least three times a week. Only time anyone got a ambulance when they couldn't walk or were unconscious. If they had a boken arm they got a ride in a station wagon. I was single then and one night while out met a nurse who worked in ER had a nice conversation until she found out I worked in the shipyard. She excused herself and said I don't want to be impolite but I don't want to know any one who works in the shipyard. She had seen it.

One day a new hire came walking through the shop I was working in. He said" How the hell do I get out of here" I said there's the door. " No, he says where you punch you cards" I looked at my watch " It's only eight thirty" As he walked to the door I heard him mumble " this isn't for me"

Ahh the days of Carhartts.

hey Robert - I know what you mean! I think they put somehting in the material that shrinks it up a little each time you wash it. After a year or 2, they don't fit anymore! Pretty sneaky if you ask me....

Dave

Two years? I don't get nine months out of a pair of pants before they shrink and I am wearing high water pants. Never wore a pair of their pants out, but have gone through a whole bunch because of them shrinking.

I did buy a pair of their extreme bibs, weren't cheap, but man are those the great.

Guys,

If you seriously have had concerns/problems with shrinking, PM with me with details: product type, size, style, etc.. , & what happened.
I will pass it along to my sister.
She is always interested in hearing about customer concerns with her products. Thanks.

Normally Carl you buy them a size or two larger. The material they are made of shrinks. cotton. The advantage of Carhartts is the material they are made of. Welding, burning with torch, grinding steel are processes where you don't want to catch on fire. This is why anyone who does much of this wears Carhartts or cotton. On a construction site you can almost tell what trade someone is in by what they wear. A newbe stands out.

Hey Carl,
Sorry that tongue-in-cheek humor doesn't always come across in print... there is also the remote possibility that my belly got bigger, and the carhartts didn't really shrink that much....
but i still think they are shrinking, and that's my story and i'm stickin to it...
Dave

Back