Great Lakes Decoy Carvers...(historical)

Steve Steffy

I have been searching for info on Great Lakes carvers, particularly Lake Erie and Pennsylvania, and finally came up with some information at the ODCCA show. I found that Jack Sweet was a carver, I believe back in the 50's & 60's and started Decoys Unlimited right here in Erie, PA. He also made some decoy weights. I also found out some limited info on Hansen (the old owner of hansens bait stand) used to make some decoys as well. I believe he was the one that cut telephone poles in half, split them and shaped them to make decoys. (Please correct me if this is inaccurate) Does anybody have any other sources of info from old time carvers on the southern shores of Lake Erie. I'm looking mainly for info in the Erie area, but I would also like to know of any others from Toledo to Buffalo. Thanks...

Steve

Steve, The Hay's, husband and wife team, were (in 2006 they made a calendar promoting the book) going to write a book about Ohio carvers. This has not happened as of today. However, after talking with her this past weekend at Westlake, it still may happen. The Hay's live in Michigan. His name if Jeff and they may be able to give you more info on carvers from Ohio. Good luck with your search.

Hello Steve;; Check out Saginaw Bay Waterfowl Hunting and Decoy Carvers by William Stout. He did a very nice job of searching out carvers and researching the area . I happen to have hunted in many of the places and was axquainted with several of the guys in the pictures. I bought two of the books as he is not planing on a reprint. He has his contact on the web site under the title and will do doubt, I know he will be happy to direct you to someone that might still have some copies. It is the most complete area type book I have seen and the pictures are great. Happy hunting,,, Should you ever get to the Sebewaing area---stop at Pop's Place north of town and you will find a large group of guys still using some of the decoys mentioned. Good luck Jerry .

Duane...do have any other info on the Hays' I can't seem to find anything on any searches. Thanks for your help.

Jerry...ya know, I saw that book everywhere at the Westlake show and I never bothered to look at it. Not because I didn't have the cash for it, heck, I came home with money in my pocket still. I don't know how I managed that. I guess I figured it was a book that related more to Lake Huron. I think I will order a copy from Mr. Stout in the next day or so. It may give me more information that I don't already have and it will surely be a good addition to my collection. I'd like to get info on Lake St. Clair, why not branch into Lake Huron...

Thanks for the info...
Steve

Steve,

This is a very good book, espically if you have hunted Saginaw Bay. I have hunted the bay for about 15 years and felt like i was there when reading it. I believe you will find some information on the Hay's in Stouts book. The book focuses more on Saginaw Bay proper not much on lake Huron.

The pictures of decoys are worth the price. Besides I read books faster with pictures :)

Rod

I just dropped a check in the mail to Mr. Stout. I can't wait to check out the book. I have never hunted Saginaw Bay, heck I've never even been there. But you never know, I may venture up that way someday as a side trip to Cabela's.

Thanks for the help and if anybody else has any suggestions or information I am all ears.

Steve

Guys - Bill Stout is doing a seminar on Saginaw Bay Decoys at the St. Charles Show, April 24-25. May want to check it out...

Hi Steve,

The Hay's live here locally and are friends. I can probably put you in contact with them. While I am not very educated on the Ohio decoys, I was completely impressed with their knowledge. They LIVE Ohio decoys. Joyce has done more genealogy research on some of these carvers and club members than most people do on their own families, and has carved some pretty impressive reproductions of some of the decoys!

Pat...I almost entered one of my calls into the fancy call contest down in St. Charles, but I haven't had the time to accomplish what I was working on. Maybe I will have it finished for next year...along with another idea that I have. It has just been to busy to make it down to St. Charles this year. I am hoping to catch up to Mr. Stout some other time during the year or possibly next year at Westlake.

Rutgers...I just sent an e-mail to the Hay's this afternoon. Hopefully I can obtain some info from them like this...otherwise I will be waiting patiently for that book to come out.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

Hi Steve:
I have a book "Traditions in Wood" copyright in 1987 ISBN 0-920656-70-6 edited by Fleming and Carpenter. While not specific to the area you descibe it takes that area as well as the rest of the Great Lakes and Canada. If you arre interested let me know.
Regards
Ron

Back