Great South Bay Scooter Rehab - SEA TRIALS AT LAST !

A few more steps toward the Finish Line.....

I bedded the bowpiece in BoatLIFE - and used bronze screws with slotted heads - just like the originals I removed last week. It turns out this bit of hardware is non-ferrous - either brass or bronze. It's been a long time since I've driven any screws into a boat without a cordless drill in my hands. I bought my favorite set of screwdrivers right after I married Susan in 1975. I still use the entire set.

I built my first boat - circa 1982 - with 3 corded drills - pilot, slip, countersink bits - and a Yankee (ratchet) screwdriver. I used galvanized screws because bronze was too expensive - and s/s did not yet dominate the marine marketplace.

View attachment H 80 - Bowpiece fastening and bedding.JPG

All bedded and fastened up snug.

View attachment H 81 - Bowpiece installed.JPG

The last bits of 'glass patching on her bottom.

View attachment H 82 - Last glassing.JPG

After an hour of sanding this morning, though, I could not help myself. Rather than roll on the primer, I decided to lose another day and fair all the rough spots I could find.

View attachment H 83 Last filling and fairing.JPG

I cut the rubrails to length, faired the ends and bored the screw holes on the drill press.

View attachment Rubrails 01 ends bored.JPG

As White Ash has little natural rot resistance, I brushed on the first of 2 coats of "rot-proof" - a product made for fence posts.

View attachment Rubrails 02 Rotproofing.JPG

Next step is a final sanding of the bottom, then prime and paint before flipping it back rightside up.

All the best,

SJS

The bottom is done and the new rubrails are on....

Here it is primed - with Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat Grey Primer.

View attachment H 84 Bottom primed.JPG

I rolled on Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Grey for the bottom's topcoat.

View attachment H 85 Bottom topcoat - Gloss Smoke Grey Rustoleum.JPG

Her bowpiece now becomes one with the vessel.

View attachment H 90 Bowpiece.JPG

That rough old fantail has come a long way.

View attachment H 91 Fantail.JPG

But....the clean monochrome finish allowed me to spy a couple of dubious imperfections - possible pathways for Great South Bay to find its way inside this old Scooter. So, a couple of "band-Aids" - 2 layers of 4-ounce cloth saturated in epoxy - and another night upside down.

View attachment H 92 - Last 2 patches.JPG

So, whilst all was curing, I raised the Scooter up onto my tallest horses - about 4-feet above the floor - to enable me to work in well-lit comfort for one last fussy job.

View attachment H 93 - upside down comfort.JPG

I had to fit an "extra" quarter knee on the port side aft - to correct the worst deflection in the deck caused by the original dock-crushing. The new knee has been shaped, fitted and glued. I will install it after sealing and priming later today.

View attachment H 95 Knee.JPG

I next installed the new rubrails with the boat upside down and on the tall horses. It put everything at a comfortable working/seeing elevation. I bedded the rails in a new-to-me product - TotalBoat SEAL. I am sure it will serve well but was a challenge to use - especially compared with my old standby - 3M 5200 - or even the BoatLife I used on the coamings. It reminds me of 3m 4200 - the fast cure version of 5200. I evidently need something that sets up more slowly, compatible with my deliberate working pace. Although - with the help of wife Susan - the rails went on quickly and without any unforeseen curve balls (total time about 45 minutes) - the product skinned over almost immediately. After applying it to the inside of each rail with the caulking gun, I then "buttered" it onto the rail's entire mating surface with a stiff putty knife. It was setting up and causing lumps as I did so.

View attachment Rubrails 04.JPG

....continued.

SJS

Because of the rapid skinning, I could not get the smooth fillet I wanted at the seams - and I could not clean it off the hull or rail faces. I am used to cleaning up 5200 exactly as I want the finish before it sets up. So, I will now have more (finicky) work than planned once this is firm enough to scrape, sand or shape.

With 5200, I would have been able to wipe this with my finger and/or paper towels to reveal only a thin filleted line. Even the recommended mineral spirits did not allow the cleanup I wanted.

View attachment Rubrails 06.JPG

Likewise, there should be no extraneous caulk around the ends.

Note that I fastened the rails every 12 inches along their lengths - but put 2 screws in at each end. I will likely use traditional linseed-oil-based putty for the screw holes - rather than thickened epoxy or Bondo - to simplify removal if needed down the road.

View attachment Rubrails 07.JPG

One tube was not quite enough for both rails. Fortunately, I had an open tube of #M 5200 on hand. So, when I flipped the boat rightside up, I used the 5200 to fill any gaps and provide enough on top of the SEAL for an acceptable fillet.

View attachment Rubrails 05.JPG

Live and learn.... I shoulda used one of the 3M 5200 tubes I had on the shelf....

In any event, I will painstakingly clean everything up later this week, then prime so I can put the topcoat on the entire topsides.

View attachment Rubrails 03.JPG

I will now continue a thorough cleaning of the shop - and begin sewing.

All the best,

SJS

Jesus, Steve, you started this as a Nitty Gritty resto.......this thing went to Betty Ford for God's sake.....
Not to push my luck but I've always secretly envied one of those flags you sew...... but I dint' mention that for real.......

Mc~

As the Soup Nazi once said to George Costanza: "Don't push your luck, Little Man!"

...but, you have been reading my mind....

Stay tuned!

SJS

How come you taped off that "band-aid" area with the blue painters tape? I see the fibers on top of the tape, won't pealing the tape off irritate the fibers?
Everything looks amazing, thank you thank you thank you.....

Mc~

I taped it off to simplify the aftercare - as with any Band-Aid.

When the epoxy is mostly cured, I use a utility knife to cut through the new patch to the inside edge of the masking tape. The tape and excess cloth peel right off - so this gives me 4 clean edges.

After the full cure, I fair these edges down - first with a scraper then my orbital sander. I do not try to make these patches "invisible" - as I would on the topsides - because durability and water-tightness trump aesthetics on the bottom.

Make sense?

SJS

Good morning, All~

I gave the shop a thorough cleaning - so I could do some canvas work - and so we could foregather with a few friends in a Covid-safe setting. As temperatures drop and days shorten, we hope to keep some social life limping along. We tried the shop Friday morning. The fully-stoked Defiant was providing the warmth and Susan and I provided the coffee and quiche to two friends on a rainy and grey morning. With some windows cracked and chairs scattered about, the lively conversation seemed healthy enough.

My first project was the lap cover. I had just enough Cadet Grey Sunbrella on hand to hide most of the gunner - and to keep in some body heat within the cockpit.

View attachment C 01 Cadet Grey Sunbrella.JPG

The foot of the cover is held down by 4 snaps on posts.

View attachment C 02 Snaps across foot.JPG

I happened to have just enough Grey snaps in my kit.....

View attachment C 03 Foot.JPG

The two upper corners are held by two thumb cleats - which have been screwed down and bedded in 3M 5200.

The shock cord allows the gunner to sit up - and the thumb cleats allow simple release when needed.

View attachment C 04 Thumb cleats an shock cord.JPG

Here it is in "gunning" mode.

View attachment C 05 Lap cover - gunning.JPG

Here it is rolled up on the afterdeck - as when the gunner is rowing to retrieve the downed birds - or adjusting the stern anchor.

View attachment C 06 Lap cover rolled down.JPG

The next bit of canvas work was the cockpit cover. I had plenty of "pearl green" in my supply. I cannot remember what Sunbrella calls it, but this was long a traditional color for boat canvas of all sorts - and still one of my favorites.

The cover is stretched over the 2 Ash bows - and is held down along its forward hem with 3 twist-lock fasteners. I am trying nylon Permalocks instead of the usual nickel-plated Common Sense fasteners I have long used. They should be impervious to salt water.

View attachment C 07 Cockpit cover - head.JPG

The other 3 sides are held by these StayPut loops and hooks. They are very easy to install and provide the tension needed to keep the cover stretched taut.

View attachment C 08 StayPut loops.JPG

I am leaving ample room up forward - behind the spray shield - for access to the forward fasteners.

View attachment C 09 Within spray shield.jpg

Here it is all fastened down - for storage or towing out to the gunning grounds. I think it will stow nicely within the spray shield - rolled up with the leading edge still fastened to the deck.

View attachment C 10 Cockpit Cover - full.JPG

The next canvas task is covering the foam cushion on the back rest. And, now that all the canvas hardware has been installed on the deck, I can apply the finish coat of paint to her topsides (after fussing with that infernal SEAL on the rubrails....).

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Richard et al~

Well....here's the final post! Yesterday's "sea trials" were a total success. The vessel is ready to return to its natal habitat - the waters of Great South Bay - sometime next month.

Of course, there were the many details in the run-up to Launch Day.....

I used traditional linseed-oil putty to fill the screw holes on the White Ash rubrails - so removal would be a bit easier if needed down the years.

View attachment M 01A - Putty.JPG

Each end got 2 fasteners to prevent springing away from the hull.

View attachment M 02 Putty in rubrail fwd end.jpg

Now the whole topsides could be primed.

View attachment M 03 Primed.JPG

Test patches of a Flat Grey topside paint and a primer. Owner McFussbudget insisted on a custom shade about midway....

View attachment M 04 Paint comparison.JPG

I had to add Pettit's Brushing Thinner - so I could brush on the final coat. It imparted a low sheen to the vessel - which think will be fine for open bay gunning.

View attachment M 05 Topcoat.JPG

I also painted the lap cover.....

View attachment M 06 Lap cover painted.JPG

....and the spray shield.

View attachment M 07 Spray shield painted.JPG

Here is everything after the paint cured.

View attachment M 08 Painted with spray shield and lap cover in place.JPG

I screwed the spray shield on dry - no caulk or adhesive - just in case the owner wants to modify it.

View attachment M 09 Spray Shield dry fastened.JPG

The neck rest got 2-inch medium density foam covered with painted canvas.

Note how I kept the bronze oarlock sockets paint-free. A nice verdigris will coat them soon enough!

View attachment M 10 Neck rest.JPG

....continued....

SJS

The final prep proceeds.....

I painted the shock cord and grommets.

View attachment M 11 Shock cord and thumb cleat.JPG

Here she is in UFO/hover-craft phase - lifted with chain hoists to settle onto her trailer.

View attachment M 12 Hover craft UFO.JPG

Resting comfortably on padded bunks.

View attachment M 13 on trailer in shop.JPG

The trailer got a thorough going-over. All lugs were backed off and treated to anti-seize. I know that makers and mechanics recommend fastening lug nuts dry - but I would rather be able to change a flat tire on the roadside if needed. Sure enough, I needed my air wrench to back most of these off. I did the spare as well - and everything got its proper ration of air.

View attachment M 14 Lubing hubs and lugs plus air.JPG

The cushions on the light stanchions needed replacing - heavy pipe insulation.

View attachment M 15 Bracket cushion.JPG

I sewed these cover a couple of years ago but never installed them.

View attachment M 16 Bracket cushion covers.JPG

I used zip-ties instead of cord to "lace" them on.

Note that the license plate is held on with s/s cap screws, fender washers - and nylocks on the other side

View attachment M 17 Covers in place.JPG

The loose gear includes a bailing bucket - with a flat-sided lip from Tractor Supply - with the steel bail replaced with nylon line to avoid rusting and rattling. It gets stowed up under the foredeck.

The flag and pickup stick will stow in the quarter knees.

View attachment M 20 Loose gear.JPG

Here's the cockpit almost ready for the gunner.

View attachment M 21 A Neck Rest and cockpit.JPG

Shells, flag, pickup stick stowed....

View attachment M 21 B stowed gear.JPG

....continued....

SJS

Almost ready....

The neck-rest lodges in the floorboard chock.

View attachment M 22 Neck rest in chock.JPG

The all-important Model Perfect Duckboat Sponge - band-sawed from -inch mattress foam. They soak up at least (?) 100 percent of their volume in bilge water - an important task at the end of each hunt.

View attachment M 24 Model Perfect Duckboat Sponge.JPG

This Old Man's Pad - was cut down (48 inches LOA) from a GI sleeping pad I always keep in the shop for getting beneath outside boats and vehicles. I treated myself to a new one.

View attachment M 26 Old Mans Pad.JPG

A bow painter - 3/8-inch spun polyester - my favorite type of line - was spliced and whipped. The photographer insisted that the excess be Flemished for this shot....

View attachment M 25 Painter Flemished and spliced.JPG

Fresh air and sunlight once again - the first time since late August.

View attachment T 02 Daylight again.JPG

This view courtesy of Pencil Brook Air Squadron.....

View attachment T 03 Aerial - full.JPG

The gunner's little nest.

View attachment T 04 Aerial - cockpit closeup.JPG

In profile.

View attachment T 05 Profile on trailer.JPG

Another cockpit closeup.

View attachment T 07 Cockpit closeup B.JPG

Full cockpit cover in place - but without the Ash bows for this trip.

View attachment T 08 Cockpit cover without bows.JPG

Now to secure her to the trailer.

SJS

I lashed the bow down to the tongue rather than adjust the bow chock on the winch stand - as this trailer does not go with the Scooter.

View attachment T 10 Bow tie-down.JPG

Likewise, the belly strap is borrowed from my Sneakbox rig.

View attachment T 11 Belly strap.JPG

The 20-mile trip to the launch - and the launch itself - were without incident.

View attachment ST C 07 B Bow on.JPG

This is the first I have seen this vessel afloat. She's is a bit more buoyant than I had expected. And, no leaks!

View attachment ST D 06 bow quarter.jpg

She lays and trims nicely and is very stable.

View attachment ST B 05 port side.JPG

The wind picked up quickly and so we could not photograph her with a gunner rowing her or laying in wait. Nevertheless, she met all my expectations. She rows well - but of course does not track much - because of her flat bottom and lack of strakes, keel or skeg.

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the project and am satisfied that moving the cockpit forward was a sound decision.

View attachment ST E 04 stern quarter.jpg

No more boats for a while (more or less....). I need to immerse myself in decoy restorations for the next month or so - and hunt as needed.

All the best,

SJS

Steve you did an awesome job with that boat! I am very impressed. Like others, I know I thought multiple times geesh it would be easier to just build a new one than fix it up. Glad I wasn't doing the fix-up. I have thoroughly enjoyed you sharing the process with us and the steps you took along the way.

You know, you could do an entire PBS TV series on this project and the others like it you've done.....THIS OLD BOAT. Think of the merchandising!

seriously, I always have enjoyed watching your projects as they progress. Congratulations on work well done. And, thanks for sharing.

best always.

Wow, what else can I say but thank you again and again.
I am so happy to have such a great piece of local history brought back into action.
It is very stable indeed thanks to her wide hips. I loved shooting out of that boat when it was in awful shape, I can't imagine what this will be like.
I'll send some action shots ASAP.

All~

Thanks for the kind words!

As the vessel will remain in my custody for another few weeks, I may schedule another "action photo shoot" to document her full potential.

All the best,

SJS

Back