gunning boxes

Rick L

gunning boxes (the ones that go in the boat for calls, shells and such, with a rest for the gun, not the coffin blind type) are not something i have seen many of in this area

most seems to originate in the upper midwest, and the few I have seen pictures of have ranged from slapped together from scraps to darn near furniture

how about sharing some pictures and details on yours, newly made or antique - what works and doesn't as far as features go

not that I need another project - but they seem like a great accessory for an old double gun in an old boat

Rick - That's a very good subject. I made mine in 1999 with the help of a friend that owns a boat works. It's 15 1/2"L X 11"W X 7 1/4"H, marine plywood with 1" white oak runners on the bottom to keep it out of the water and muck, Each end has 3/4" mahogany cradles, one high, one low to hold my "Shoot Gun". It has served me very well, especially in my old fiberglass Dan Kidney style mash boat. It holds all my essentials, and keeps the muzzle of the gun in the proper place, and "Ready For Action". The carry handle of the box is 1 1/4"W thick leather, with copper rivets that attach it to the lid.

I can't figure out how to post photo's here, but if you check my website I can e-mail you a photo. I have another box made, but not hinged, nor end pieces and runners cut out yet. A future project.

If ya hunt over your own Decoys, it only stands to reason ya gotta make yourself a quality Gunnin' Box. Man they sure hold lots of good memories...

I use a canvas carpenters bag, 24" long by about 10" wide with a folding mouth type open top. The open top works well to cradle the gun lengthwise. Plus there is plenty of room for shells, calls, gloves, flashlight, marine radio, hand warmers, multi tool etc. I have thought about building a similar wooden box with a gun cradle built into the carry handle. I do like the way the canvas bag can collapse and get shoved into spaces that a solid box would not fit.

I am curious to see what others are use! Please post pictures.

I want to build a gunning box, so I want to see what has been successfully working for others as well.

Great subject.

Thanks,
R.C.

If I remember correctly MLBob posted some pictures of his work a year or two ago. Very nice work I should add.

Here are a few threads with gunning boxes in them.

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=131544;search_string=gunning%20box;#131544

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=27980;search_string=gunning%20box;#27980

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=257001;search_string=gunning%20box;#257001

Last edited:
thanks Paul

i am not sure Bob's work of art with the Lab's portrait would look the same with the stick figure dog I could draw on it

the box with the shell holes is not a bad idea, the old Parker hammer gun cases had a similar arrangement for brass hulls

I remember I made this gunning box when I was still in high school. Modeled after a picture of one of Dave Hagerbaumers.

Fun project, maybe I will build another this off season...

Build one if thats what floats your boat, but for small boats with wet conditions it's pretty hard, to impossible, to beat a plastic 30 or 50 cal. ammo box

Build one if thats what floats your boat, but for small boats with wet conditions it's pretty hard, to impossible, to beat a plastic 30 or 50 cal. ammo box
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks , but too tall and narrow to add a gun rest

And I think a Parker hammer gun would throw up on one lol

I use a couple of gunning bags. Painted canvas Klein Tool bags, 14" and 16". I made a mahogany liner for the 16" with a sliding partial lid and section for shells to keep it organized.
photo_1_zpsqcj8he6k.jpg

photo_2_zpsj1e8epmg.jpg

Tom

IMG_1861_zps9oiicbze.jpg

IMG_1859_zpseckttgxo.jpg

His is a variation of the box that is pictured in the Ron Koch book
WHISPERING WIGS AND WOODEN BLOCKS. I've made a half dozen of these after donating the one Ron made for me to a DU Banquet. Can't seem to hold onto them for long. I use them in my little marsh layouts and in the Barnegats and the do a good job of keeping gun and shells off the water in the boat. Not worth a flip if the dog is in the little boats for obvious reasons, (the main reason they are so easy to give away when someone see's one and says WOW I like that).

Don't get me wrong, I love traditional but I love dry and out of the water and the dog can't mess it up more so mostly I use a waterproof tackle box with. Removable tray and a waterproof shell box

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

that old Chessy sure looks happy. I miss him sooo much!

The box is sitting in my den at this very moment.

">

IMG_1861_zps9oiicbze.jpg

IMG_1859_zpseckttgxo.jpg

His is a variation of the box that is pictured in the Ron Koch book
WHISPERING WIGS AND WOODEN BLOCKS. I've made a half dozen of these after donating the one Ron made for me to a DU Banquet. Can't seem to hold onto them for long. I use them in my little marsh layouts and in the Barnegats and the do a good job of keeping gun and shells off the water in the boat. Not worth a flip if the dog is in the little boats for obvious reasons, (the main reason they are so easy to give away when someone see's one and says WOW I like that).

Don't get me wrong, I love traditional but I love dry and out of the water and the dog can't mess it up more so mostly I use a waterproof tackle box with. Removable tray and a waterproof shell box

Steve

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i saw that one in the book, that is what originally got me thinking about them, and wondering if he actually invented the cup holder

The cup holder is worthless as boobs on a boar unless you are using a standard coffee cup which are pretty scarce on the marsh theses days

Looks sporty though

Steve

I think a smaller variation on this box might be what I'm looking for.
transferring from a tender to layout is an akward process under the best of conditions.

picture a small gunning box wide enough to hold a couple of boxes of shells yet narrow enough to fit along side of the gunner.
put a gun cradle on top.
Then come up with some sort of clip or cradle so the box could be dropped into place from the tender and held securely.
Set the gun on the cradle and step into the layout.

No more shotgun and gear sliding under your feet as an unexpected wave hits before you can slide down into position.
Custom design a cup holder and your coffee and shot gun will be right where you expect it everytime you reach for it.

You must be awfully skinny, or have a big layout boat... ;-)

I'm 6'-1", 200# and when I slide into my Lake Erie layout, I barely have room for me, let alone a gunning box.

But I know what you mean. That would be cool. The Bankes "Hercules" Layout has a slot in the coming for your gun. Although I have hunted out of one a couple of times and I never used it. It's right in the middle. I just wasn't comfortable with it. I like my gun laying on my right side.

Jon

By the way, the "old" layout pic in your avater graces my computer screen at work. You sent me a big picture long ago. Thanks!

Hmmm a cup holder right next to where the trigger of the "Shoot Gun" would rest... Plus a drawer that pulls out rather than a top for the box. I dunno. To each their own.

Back