Gunning Coffin for Tuckerton - SHOW PHOTOS !

Tuckerton continued....

My partner at the Show was selling off lots of gear. He and his friend built these "Sanford Coffin Boxes" in the '80s.

View attachment sm Tu 13 Old Coffins for sale.JPG

Here's a replica of Nathaniel Bishop's CENTENNIAL REPUBLIC.

View attachment sm Tu 15 Stephens BBSB replica.JPG

Fours Months in a Sneakbox?

View attachment sm Tu 16 Four Months.JPG

The key text....

View attachment sm Tu 17 Four Months text.JPG

Here's an old friend from my hometown on Long Island.

View attachment sm Tu 24 George Rigby.JPG

"Fillet and Release" was a management principle with which I was unfamiliar.

View attachment sm Tu 25 George Rigby Fillet and Release.JPG

He was one of many who inspected my new vessel - and opined as to its provenance. It was gift from another duckboats.net member - and will be what I bring back to Tuckerton next year - ready-to-hunt if all goes as planned. (More in a separate post....)

View attachment BBSB 01 on traoler at Josh Schwenger house.JPG

I never got to see the ""Pond Box" that eat my Gunning Coffin....I took a 2nd Place - AKA Last ! Ken Barnett had sold off his on Saturday afternoon - before I could see my competition. Mine now rests ashamedly in my shed - ready to re-appear fully-thatched - at the SSWA Duckboat Show & waterfowl Festiival at the end of the month at Cedar Beach on Long Island.

View attachment GCCanvas - In the barn for now.JPG

I made it back home late Sunday night. The Mystery Sneakbox brought its own Atlantic White Cedar along with it....

View attachment BBSB 01 Morning 1 from astern with Cedar.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Steve, Thanks for posting the pictures, I talked to Clark and he said you guys are going head to head next year at the show. I got to be there for that one.
Phil

Steve, thanks for taking us along with you to Tuckerton! What did you settle on for the pintail "sprig" repair material?

Good morning, Rick~

I re-laminated the tail section with thickened epoxy (epoxy + fairing compound), then - with the concurrence of the new owner (my partner Jamie Woods) - I simply shortened the sprig. In doing so, I was impressed with the toughness of whatever plastic Larry used way back when.

I've touched up Mister Pintail's paint, too. Expect some photos on the Work Bench soon.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Bob~

Should you build yourself a "Model 19", I'd be interested to know if your fair batten hits all the same marks.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Tom~

Our motto here at Scant & Full Boatworks is....Never too "proud".....

BTW: We are right next door to Fair & Sweet Boatworks.

All the best,

SJS

You made a very good choice, really nice lines on that pair of birds! That was my point of curiousity, how you would attach a repair to what looked like some type of poly-whatever type of plastic.

Back