Gunsmith Question

Paul Mc

A friend has a Stevens 67H 12g pump that he wanted me to take a look at. The action was very stiff when reloading. I happen to have the same gun so I know how to field strip it. There is a pin at the front of the trigger assembly and a screw at the rear. I absolutely could not get the pin out. I beat on it so hard that I bent my punch into the shape of a question mark! I used a different punch on my own gun, to be sure I was doing it right and it came right out. I used a compressor to blow out and clean what I could. Then I lubed it and it's a lot better than it was, but I'd really like to get that pin out to be able to clean it more thoroughly. Any suggestions on how to get the pin out?

Look for something called Kroil. Apply it on the pin and let it soak. Sometimes with ones that are really stuck, you have to reapply the Kroil and really let it soak in. I have never not been able to get something removed with Kroil. Sometimes it has taken a while with multiple soakings, but it is an excellent chemical for breaking rusty items free.

Last edited:
You might consider putting a shallow amount of Kroil in a pan, taking the stock off and soaking just the action. Sometimes I have to submerge things in the Kroil at work.

Another thing to try is to take some wax or clay and build a dam around the pin and fill that whole area in with Kroil and let it sit for a day and then give it a try. If it doesn't work, do the same thing with the dam on the opposite side of the receiver.

This may not be applicable to this gun and if it is, I am sure you are already aware of it, but make sure you aren't trying to drive the pin out the wrong way. Some guns, can sometimes have pins that can only go in or out a certain direction.

I like the damn idea; I'll try that. I watched a bunch of You Tube vids and I was hitting it in the same direction as them, and the same direction that worked for me on my same gun, so yes, I knew to consider that. I'll try the damn later today.

If it's possible, heat it up a bit with a torch and then try to drive it or soak in Kroil. Cooling will suck Kroil up into the stuck part. Was the gun used in saltwater?

Did someone add red threadlocker to the pin before last install? Might need to just add heat and then punch it.

I have some surfboard wax that I can try tonight with the Kroil first. I can let that sit for a few days. Then I'll try heat. It is an otherwise really clean gun, so I'm not thinking that it's salt frozen.

I have an old JC Higgins pump 20 with the same symptons, very stiff action, so interested in what you find!

Will do Carl,
It's hard to explain. When you have the forearm alllll the way toward the action where it can't go any further, it almost has a suction feeling like if you push a plunger down against the counter top. Weird comparison. My savage has a similarly clumsy pump so I'm not sure what I'll find but I'll try the oil tonight and see what I can see.

Mine is different, feels like something is binding up about half way through the pump. My brother has the gun up in PA, I need to get it next time I'd go up.

Is the pin tapered? They may have put it together backwards maybe check your gun out if the pin is tapered maybe they installed it backwards.

Do not heat with a torch. Heat a rod cherry hot and apply to pin, Kroil oil. Throw in the freezer. Light taps on the pin, not a Bigger hammer! What holds the pin in position? Patience...

Remember the mushroom shaped rivets that they would get red hot then jackhammer them into place in high-rises and bridges? That's what the other side looks like. Super tight.IMG_7499.jpg

Good morning, Paul~

Interesting thread! I wish you look with the process and many good suggestions. I liked Rich's thoughts about using a heated rod instead of the torch itself for such a job.

Of course, you know my recommendation for fixing any old pump gun.....Winchester Model 12!

All the best,

SJS

Steve-
First, that prior question about the woodwork on that .22 Marlin turn out great. I sanded it down to bare wood then stained it but the first coat was too thin. Uncharacteristic for me, I gave it a second coat (dark walnut) and let it sit. It was gross. I wiped it down with alcohol then gave it a light sanding with steel wool and it was good. I then gave it two coats of Helmsman Spar with steel wool in between. The gun owner is very happy. Now on to this Stevens that I've let sit all week with that penetrating oil in place. I'll try the hot rod this weekend.
I'll post some pics of the Marlin later.

Can't beat a W12. I shot trap for years with a W12 mag. Shot ducks with another one till I shot from my duck boat. Couldn't pump it going to the right, bought my first new gun Rem 1187. Still own 10-12 W12's.

Hey there, sorry, I was redoing my login etc. I was unable to get it out with either the hot rod trick or 24 hours of a "Kroil Dam" so for the first time in my life, I'm bailing. It definitely operates was smoother than it did when it came to the shop; for that the owner is very happy. I want to become more familiar with this model, so I'm going to open up mine. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions and conversation.

Hey there, sorry, I was redoing my login etc. I was unable to get it out with either the hot rod trick or 24 hours of a "Kroil Dam" so for the first time in my life, I'm bailing. It definitely operates was smoother than it did when it came to the shop; for that the owner is very happy. I want to become more familiar with this model, so I'm going to open up mine. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions and conversation.

Can the owner take it out and shoot a few boxes of shells through it and then have you check to see if it loosened any?

Maybe some jarring during shooting my loosen it up some. Or possibly over time the penetrating oil that is still in there might do it's thing.

I have heard from some gunsmiths that using some acetone and penetrating oil together works. You need to keep it away from the wood finishes, and something about putting aluminum foil around the area so it does not evaporate too quickly. Supposed to thin out the oil to get it in to tighter areas.

I know nothing really about that, but it is something that I heard before. It may even be that the new penetrating oils already have an acetone type solvent to assist in penetrating.

Just trying to help come up with some ideas. But take my gunsmithing advice with a grain of salt and lime. 😇

I know it has to be frustrating and sitting in the back of your mind that you were unable to fully disassemble it because of that crazy stuck pin.
I know it would be bugging me that I could not get it out to do a complete job.

Back