Has anyone ever made this sausage?

Capt Rich Geminski said:
Tough to get trimmings now. As the guys said, they are trimmed so well from the plants. Was told it was because of shipping weights. I made venison sausage for years and used beef fat for breakfast sausage. It doesn't burn as easily as pork fat. I used Leggs sausage mix from a butcher supply. Usually about a 15/20% mix.
Still a few farms around here that raise beef and pigs. We did about 4-5 deer a year and it kept me in meat. After I feel out of a tree I slowed down and finally stopped. Thinking of selling all my stuff, grinder,sausage stuff, saws etc. Just don't have the spirit any more. Loved doing it when I was younger.

Yes, even if you can find someone breaking down whole hogs the fat is tough to get. Folks are using the the nice thick fatback to make Lardo and similar and people pay well for it. the last time I got fat trim from our fancy pants place that I've been using, they wanted to charge $12-15 a pound for fat trim (I forget exactly) and I crapped my pants at the counter since I had a big order for it. The time previous, I paid in the 2-3 a pound range. I have spent a lot of time looking and every time I need it I have to reinvent the wheel, since things are so fluid. A lot of the local butchers make it seem like they are breaking down whole animals when in actuality they are getting vacuum sealed stuff in mostly - you find this out when you ask for fat and they can't get it and you ask what they do with their extra and they say they don't have any because the meat is trimmed already.

Fortunately, we have a family-owned chain store one block away (Rousses, New Orleans based, only in south LA, MS & AL).
They still have real butchers on staff and actually cut & package most of their meats.

Jeesh, Maybe I need to start buying up all their trimmings, package it & sell to y'all!!!

Yes I am referring to the Toulouse sausage. I have no way to control humidity so all I can do is control the temp. If I could could control humidity I would be doing salami's and cured meats of all kinds! If it is below 60 I will just let it hang in my garage with the door open otherwise I will hang in the fridge. I have a mini fridge that I save for hanging ducks during the season and other stuff like sausage making. If it is in the fridge it will take forever for the casings to become dry to the touch so I will just wipe them down with paper towels every hour or so. I have yet to use fresh nutmeg. I keep saying I am going to but just haven't done it yet so I put in a little extra knowing that what I have is not fresh.

Pete, as far as the stuffer goes I'm not sure how much I put into it. I purchased all the plumbing at Home depot and found the O-rings for the piston online. As with most of my side projects I tried to do it for as cheap as possible and spread the cost out to get it under the radar of the accountant also know as my wife. I want to say it was less than $50. I had to buy a full length of the 4"PVC so I plan to make another one for my brother this summer. The hardest part of the whole thing is making the piston. I work at electronics manufacturer and we pot some our circuit boards so I brought in a 12" length of pipe sealed up at one end and had them fill it with potting compound. Basically it cures to a hard rubber. Then I turned it down on my lathe. I will try and get some pictures tonight. I used to use a horn style stuffer and this is WAY better.

Carl, the farm to table movement is based on your "new" business model.

Here in our little burg, there are five area farms that sell their meats at the Farmer's Market in summer and the Food Co-op during the winter. IF you want a specialty item or custom cut, simply tell the vendor what you are after and they will have it available, usually the following Saturday. We can buy fresh mushrooms-shitake, straw, oyster; maple syrup, honey,jams, preserves and produce in summer and starter plants in spring, by simply going down to The Commons on Saturday. I can get a huge variety of specialty cheeses, made from cow or goats milk, at very reasonable prices, in non-standard quantities if I desire them. We buy our butchered rabbit at The Commons. I prefer New Zealand whites, but there are two other varieties sold as well.

Todd is spot on with trying to get pork fat. I am lucky enough to have a butcher shop locally that sells back fat for 2.50 a pound and they also sell casings. Until I found them I thought it was an impossible task to get sausage making supplies locally. I tried 3 butcher shops before finding this one. I have talked to people from other towns and they always have trouble. My neighbor is meat cutter at local grocery store and he gets his meat vacuumed packed pre trimmed that he breaks down for sale. He makes it very clear that he is not a butcher and there are very few real butchers anymore. Best chances are finding a butcher shop that makes there own sausage.

Carl said:
Jeesh, Maybe I need to start buying up all their trimmings, package it & sell to y'all!!!

Admittedly, the stuff I’m talking about is humanely raised heritage breed pork produced locally and it is very good stuff. It is good fat and I find that It is better flavored and textured for cured sausages than standard pork fat, but I won’t pay like they wanted for my last batch. It is also a little harder to work with, since the melting point is consistently lower, so you have to wo4k harder to keep it cold while processing. Sausage, yum.

Local jail system has a honor farm where inmates raise animals for the system. They wanted to start a school for butchers and a place for local farms to have their animals processed. Most are shipped out of state and processed and packaged there. We have two bison farms and a few gourmet beef farms, organic.
Afraid od knives???

We are concerned about the quality of the fat we add to the sausage we make. Very understandable, as this is in our control, somewhat.

Yet we have no idea what the birds ingested, and contain in their body?

As hunters, very understandable as well.

High quality fat makes food. "OH SO GOOD!!".[smile]

I wish I had a dollar, for each time I had to hand crank the meat grinder for my grandmothers, when they made delicious sausage.

I could get me a Hobart.

It was much more fun helping my grandfather make wine...

Never made wine, but made sausage, sauerkraut, pickles and smoked fish also. Still make homemade horseradish for the family... Still like playing around and love eating...

Interesting comments about the impacts of acquired skills. My dad never knew his father, consequently I never learned many life skills from him.

When I worked for MSU at their Great Lakes Research lab. south of Ludington, one of my friend/co-workers had a friend who owned a small farm inland, purchased from a shirt-tail relative's widow. Pat raised hogs, chickens and a handful of cattle, as well as growing grain and tending a small orchard. The farm house porch was rimmed by whorls of horseradish. He would hold a work-bee when he slaughtered a pig that generally took most of the day to complete, closed-out by a game dinner, pot-luck style, the only requirement for attendance outside of participation in "events". For a college kid living hand-to-mouth who grew up in a home where nothing was grown or produced by hand, taking part in this event was a real life-changing experience. Pat taught us how to break-down a pig and utilize everything but the oink. Still not a fan of deep fried pork brain, scrapple, or blood sausage...but I tried them. On several of these "occasions" he would also grind horseradish to can, or process cabbage to layer-up to make sauerkraut in heavy giant crocks, with the thick lid weighted with a brick to compress the layers as they fermented. I've benefited from the skills I learned there, applied to butcher all my deer in the years since, as well as a couple of feral hogs. I learned from my co-workers how to smoke meats and fish, identify and pick wild mushrooms, feral asparagus, and can during those years, going from a diet that contained a lot of peanut butter sandwiches to high livin'!

I joined-up with our lab director when he trapped snapping turtles with his brother when Carlos would come up for a couple of weeks during the summer months from New Orleans, where he was a sous-chef in the French Quarter. He graduated from a culinary arts school in the Twin Cities. Carlos taught us a great deal about cooking paneed' whatever, gumbos, etouffee', jambalayas, Cajun bubble and squeak, Spanish eggs, and how to make the magic meats-tasso and Andouille sausage. Prior that experience I never had a clue why the sequence of adding ingredients to a dish had any value in the end-flavors that resulted.

Capt. Rich, if you ever have a chance at some, don't pass-up apple wood smoked lake sturgeon steaks-excellent. We picked-up one that was badly damaged during turbine passage as we were coming in from a Lake Michigan netting stations lift. We chased it down and netted it while it was expiring on the surface. The only fish I would place above it is hot smoked round whitefish, leaner than lake whitefish, but not dry. Smoked or canned longnose sucker is quite good, too, as well as smoked bullhead. These are the deepwater cousins of white suckers, the fish with the steelhead-like stripes down the sides you see in the rivers of the Great Lakes in spring.

Rick, wish I paid more attention when I was younger. Helped making sausage and the likes, but didn't pay attention to the preps and recipes. Brining fish, eels and meats, my dad and uncles had all that in their heads. Many years back my wife bought me a Cook Shack smoker. Love doing fish, game and meats. Wife loves the preping and smoking, but is not a big fan of smoked food. Loves to taste and change recipies for taste.
End up donationing it to the fire house 4:30 club. She makes a hell of a blue fish dip. That gets rid of those 10/15 pounders. Had a great ol bayman that would drop off all kinds of odd fish to me and would play with recipies. Porgies was a interesting one.

Growing-up in that environment, valuable life skills would tend to seem mundane, I assume. To me, it was like watching a magician for the first time. Your immediate response is, how did he do that? I'll use fish brine as an example: Leo Yeck, retired commercial fisherman and our Great Lakes RV boat captain, made his brine dense enough to float a potato, while two other guys used an egg as their hygrometer. I never came across a standardize ratio recipe of brining salt and cold water until years later. Leo's wife, Goldie, made a whole baked whitefish with bacon crisps, butter, sour cream, onions, and a spice array packed in the body cavity and then foil wrapped to cook and marry. Every year they would deliver two of them to the lab. crew just before Thanksgiving as we were ending the open water sampling season. It was fabulous, but I never thought the get her to write down the recipe.

I don't think that there is anything else that can match growing up on the water in a coastal town, even if that spot is only on the Great Lakes. Champlain qualifies in my mind as one too. When I see Chad raving about spearing porgies, I get the general notion that catching them is well worth the effort.

We share the same dilemma, Karen likes fresh smoked meats when they first come off. Other than mesquite smoked sandhill crane, she is not a fan of the same thing served cold. When deer were easier to come by we would brine and hang a rear quarter every fall and smoke it with either apple or cherry chunks. Applewood smoked turkey is my favorite now, since I can make white bean chili out of the scraps.

Where we suffer here turns on the simple reality that legal size lake trout are quite toxic (PCBs and Methyl-Hg), and marine sea food is frequently mislabeled...

Back