Headed West

Erik Mion

Hey everyone,

The Chesapeake, my girlfriend, and I are moving from Long Island NY to the Denver metro area, CO. Can anyone tell me what the waterfowl hunting is like out there? I imagine where you can find water you'll find ducks, but am totally clueless. I attended the Sportsman's expo a few weeks ago in Denver and didn't see one booth that pandered to duck hunters. Is Colorado all about Elk, and Mule Deer, or am I not looking hard enough? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Erik Mion

I haven't a clue about ducks, but you should be close to some decent upland hunting.

There is some solid waterfowl hunting- but it is mostly field hunting and mallards in the South Plstte river. There are some big reservoirs but they are generally drawn down so you would be hunting a big mud flat. If you can get permission, there are warm water sloughs near the rivers that can be good as well, but they are in private land.

Geese and ducks in high numbers in the croplands to the east, according to a guy I used to work with at Merck. As was just mentioned you are on the dry side of the Rocky Mountains, so standing water stock ponds, reservoirs, and river sandbars are your best water set bets. Lon said most of the farms are accessed via leases, though. You might look for a club to join or hire a guide to gain some sense of the land and migration patterns. As Dani said, good upland birds and pronghorns on the eastern plain.

I sold some mallards to a guy who hunts a private stock pond on his land exclusively. He does quite well on mallards.

Get ready for a lot more sunshine and clear skies! Good luck with your move!

Thanks everyone! I feel reassured knowing there is at least some opportunity for waterfowl. I have heard there is great upland hunting so I guess I will have to start training the dog to sniff out pheasants! Thanks again

Erik

Back