Help me duckboats!!!

FWIW...

There is another forum that may be able to help: Nodakoutdoors.com. I'm posting this on there, pretty friendly group.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave:
My son and I hunted that area--many pot holes that hold ducks--easy hunting. Check with any of the farmers and they are all too happy to help. Your story is unbelievable. It seems even the Canadians are overreacting.
wis boz

thanks for the help folks, it's greatly appreciated. Cabela's opens in 45 min, and I'll be off on my adventure.

keep the tips coming, I'll be out there looking for feathers, and some folks to gun w/!

-D

Dave, I was just in NoDak for the first week of October.
Pretty close to Devil's Lake (just South).
Pick up a Conservation "PLOTS" guide (Private Land Open To Sportsman).
It's put out by the ND G&F Dept.

This stuff is all open...free access:
PLOTS...yellow on the map, yellow triangle signs at each corner of the area
ND G&F WMAs...red on the map, can't remember sign color?
ND State Land...blue on the map, markers are ? color

Also anything not posted is open (if you can find the land owner, asking is a nice touch though!)
And posted stuff should have the owner's tel# (we had VERY good luck when asking permission...100%)
Also, all 2-tracks are open to driving for scouting, etc.

If you don't have a plots guide...just look for the yellow triangle signs on the corners.
There's a pot hole over every rise.
I found that only 4-5 dekes were all I needed when I found a spot the birds wanted into.
Or no dekes at all.
Also, it's been real wet this year, the cattail edges are thick and deep!
Don't drop birds in them if you can help it...even the best dogs have trouble finding any crips.

Best of luck, wish I were up there with you.

-M
cell (859) 539-1635...call if you need anything.

Geez Dave, didn't you just get back from Manatoba last week? I think you got greedy. You should have just stayed up there.

It could be worse, I have known 3 groups of people who got stuck on the other side of the border, now that is scarry when your own country doesn't want you back...

Good Luck
Chuck

Ski, your plight kinda reminds me of a song by Arlo Guthrie---Alice's Restaurant---remnind me to play for you next time you are over--better yet, download from somewhere! We finally are having a bit of rain out this way!!
Hey, don't let folks fool with you about idaho just being a little bit away---Seems they stuck Montana between you and that state! hehehehe

hmmm... this tale has the makings of the best hunt of the year... I hope it all works out for the best, for you Dave. Keep us updated.

Best,
Brian F.

Wiz, what amazed me two weeks ago were the numbers of latinos who appear to have crossed into Canada. I was able to speak spanish in berthiervile, the home of Giles Villenueve!!!
Those folks have the public going nutso---someone has to pay for their free stuff!!!!

Good luck Dave, you are definately having and adventure, and remember; it only costs money.

I talked to Dave yesterday on the phone after his ordeal at the border, and you know, there are just too many people with stories of being bullied by border guards, going either way. What's the deal? I expect police service types to be stern and sometimes maybe a little short when things are busy, but lots of us have had the experience of a border guy in some sort of roid rage. They can just loose it on you if your papers are not folded right. Has anyone ever had success in that situation? Can't you talk to a supervisor or something?

Mike

Dave,
I don't know how long ago your tussle with THE MAN was but the Canuck embassy web page has some information about entry into the country. I am not an international law expert but the way I read it is that you are "deemed rehabilitated" if ten years has passed since the offense. I have heard lots of stories about guys who were headed up to Manitoba for a hunting or fishing trip getting stopped at the ND/Canada border and denied entry for past "indescretions." I guess there are all kinds of offenses that are misdemeanors in the US but the Canadians call them "indictable offenses" as opposed to "summary offenses." Good luck with your Nodak adventure. I spend a lot of time up there with my Air Guard unit and North Dakotans are friendly people who will appreciate your dilemma. There should be plenty of waterfowl up there because the weather has been so nice that they sure as hell have had no reason to migrate down here to SD.

Dave so sorry to hear of your BS at da border, Maybe if you would of slipped that hoser a copy of STRANGE BREW on DVD he'd of let you in eh?

I hope your hunting goes well otherwise and you show them cannucks you dont need their stinkin DUCKS!

Good luck in your adventure
Dave

I'm here in Lakota, nd...found a few ducks on a plot a few miles away. Gonna figure out where to sleep tonight, then go for a walk.

will keep everyone updated.

-D

The part that just cracks me up is I can see your dad right now telling the border guard "We will just leave him behind." That is love only a dad can show.

mn

Dave

Not trying to be sadistic but i"m enjoying your situation which is turning into an adventure. All those of us stuck behind a desk would glady trade situations with you.

Keep us posted. Maybe we should have a lottery for the time you get your first duck.

Dave......that super sucks! It seems they would give you a better answer than "you look nervous". I can't see OUR border people telling Canadians that they can't come into the U.S. because THEY look nervous. Just plain NUTZ to me.

But it does make my Montana hunting look a hell of a lot better to me. I think it all boils down to....the Canadians don't keep all the birds up there, they are only there temporaily.....then we get them down here. I'll stick to the U.S. for my hunting I think.

There is plenty of good shooting in N.D. and I'm sure you will do well, it's just a stinking bummer that it turned out that way it did for you. Check with Sutton and see if his brother is in N.D at this time.

Dave

no wories Eric...I'd love to see a little betting on my chances!

I've got a smile on my face and am getting ready for my first walk.

the guys up north have shot:

12 mallards over my corkers!
1 sharptail
5 honkers...one 15lb'er and one cackler or richardson.

guess it could be better, but could be a heck of a lot worse!!

stay tuned.

-D

Dave,
have a good time making lemonade! There should be a few sleazy motels in the devil's lake area! have you found the little town that is in the geographic center of the continent? Heck, your dollar is worth more stateside now--perhaps that is what pissed off dudley?

Dave, sorry about your bad luck. If you have a way to get to Devils Lake area the ducks and geese ought to be hanging there. My buddy in Minot says things are looking good for their hunting this year. make the best of the situation don't ya know

Back