Help me duckboats!!!

Who's thirsty!!

first walk @ a plot and my very first sharptail!!

head shot too!!

someone text me their e-mail that can uplod pics of my adventure

-D
443-621-9186

Dave......that super sucks! It seems they would give you a better answer than "you look nervous". I can't see OUR border people telling Canadians that they can't come into the U.S. because THEY look nervous. Just plain NUTZ to me.

Dave

Yeah, he looks kind of nervous.

View attachment 3394

Last edited:
Dave:
I have hunted out of lakota but we had a motor home and parked right at ponds we hunted at or were going to hunt. But where in that little crossroads will you find a place to sleep? I hope you have a good sleeping bag--:). Mike's decoy arrived here today from Steve Sutton in good shape. Man, what a great looking decoy. Good luck tonight!!!
wis boz

hunting the edge of a decent sized pothole w/ a guy I met.

1 spoonie in the bag :p

had 30 lesser BB's in the spread but we held off. almost all hens, and just too pretty to shoot.

plenty of sharptails around too...i know what I'm doing mid day tomorrow.

-D

Be careful shooting up the spoonies and gadwall.
On the plate, I found them a bit muddier than usual.

They say they eat a lot of those little crustaceans you'll see in the potholes.

If you're going to eat the birds simply prepared up there...look for the Can's and Mallards...always good.

Oh, and eat up those Sharpies. Some may naysay this delicious bird. But med-rare over coals..mmmmmm.

Go have at Dave, I'm jealous.
-M

well we ended up w/ 2 bills a piece a redhead, a GE and a spoonie.

not exactly a gentlemen's hunt, but better than being home

Thanks for all of the well wishes.

w/ this small keyboard it's hard to keep up.

not sure what tomorrow will hold, but i'm optimistic and bet I can at least find a limit of sharptails and maybe a few good ducks.

-D

Dave,

Glad your outing is shaping up. Apparently our government has really pissed off the Canadians...again! A couple of years ago I had an out of country work deal where I needed a passport. I was born in St. Johns, Newfoundland but I'm a US citizen. Anyway I sent in my Canadian birth certificate but the US wouldn't except it because it was a copy not an original. The first person I contacted in Canada said flat out "we don't allow those documents out of the country" That was a bouch of BS but you would not believe what I went though to get a birth certificate. It damn near took a plane ride for a face to face.

If you need any help with pictures send them to ejlydic@hotmail.com and I'll get them posted.

Take care and good luck,

Ed L.

Dave, I just noticed your reply to my post...shoulda checked last night. Hey...that crew is already home otherwise I think they'd have hooked you up. I thought they were still going to be there. Find some potholes, bump the birds and sit on the downwind side and wait for them to return. Hey it ain't romantic and proper like but it works and at least you're not just jumping them!

Dave
Sorry to hear about your Canada trip. I can't wait to hear all about your nodak trip. I hope you will share and maybe post some photo's for us if you can

dave,
at this time of the year, it is difficult to tell drakes from hens---eclipse, ya know! sexing a duck is just like sexing a baby chick!!! that many henny looking ducks smacks of juvies in eclipse!!

Dave...we were just up there 2 weeks ago, hate this didn't happen then or you'd been more than welcome to tag along with us. We stayed in Minnewauken (20miles west of DL). Plenty of birds around as I guess you've noticed. Heck I'd pick up a dz flambeaus at Walmart in DL and have at it. Hate Canada didn't come through for you but hope you find the birds in ND. I'll be glad to point you in some directions to try if you're having any trouble (which I doubt), we hunted anywhere from a few minutes away from Minnewauken up to an hour in any direction. I believe you have my number. This was my 6th year going up so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Brad

an update for everyone.

hunted thrs morning w/ some fellas from grand forks set up for geese and ducks in a stubble field. took a decoying sharptail!, 3 hutchies, and a mallard. saw a ton of birs, and made a great contact for the area.

took a nap after lunch in a pass shootinh spot. had ruddies all around and plenty of coots. shot a spoonie, gwt, bb, missed a few mallards...shot rather poorly. got to see a great show of lots of waterfowl, and passed on a lot of iffy shots since I was dogless.

left about 20 min early by accident, but I was more than happy w/ the "hunt".

was blanked this morning on geese, we were trying to land them b/c of a lot of bands in the area. did see on band on a passing bird.

didn't shoot tonight and have a field for themorning.

gw we had good sun @ our backs and could really see the sexes w/o problem. the flock repeated and I took two drakes.

brad and everyone else thanks for the offers and help. i'm headed home tomorrow night. I assume we will head straight home.

-D

Dave,
I think that guy from Delaware must have slipped the boarder guards a few bucks to keep you out.LOL.
Glad to hear you were able to salvage the trip!

Back