Help me plan a trip

Tony Young

I rarely post on here but that's true of all of the sites I frequent. I was hoping y'all could help me decide on a trip for the fall. My sons and bride have decided to send me to the ducks this year (I'm turning 60 in October). Of course, my first thought is Stuttgart, AR but I'm open to suggestions. I've only hunted with a guide a couple of times but I would like to try the full experience this time - lodge, meals, guided hunts.

I plan to drive and it looks like that part of Arkansas is about 15 hours from here (coastal NC) which is about my limit before I have to switch to flying. I'll be bringing my 77 year old stepfather, so that's a consideration. The main thing is we want to see a lot of ducks - the last few years in NC have been pretty sparse.

I would love it if there was a "Duckboats.net" guide that I could book with but I'm looking for any recommendations from those that know the area or have been there themselves.

I'm totally open to "don't go to Arkansas, try Louisiana or xxx". I've been to Canada and that was fun but I'd ideally stay in the states and within a decent drive from NC.

we have space available for an argentine hunt this june, if interested. Dad is four years younger than i. Couple of guys from Duckboats coming along with my son, and young gent from Clayton, N Y. Tom S and Ballard, feel free to chime in!!!

Last edited:
I just watched "Duck Lore" (with Sean Weaver who is part of the MeatEater team) on YouTube last night. The episode is called "The Duck Capital With Clay Newcomb" and is about their hunt in Stuttgart. They hunted public and private land; flooded timber and a rice field. It was good and should whet your appetite for your upcoming trip!

I rarely post on here but that's true of all of the sites I frequent. I was hoping y'all could help me decide on a trip for the fall. My sons and bride have decided to send me to the ducks this year (I'm turning 60 in October). Of course, my first thought is Stuttgart, AR but I'm open to suggestions. I've only hunted with a guide a couple of times but I would like to try the full experience this time - lodge, meals, guided hunts.

I plan to drive and it looks like that part of Arkansas is about 15 hours from here (coastal NC) which is about my limit before I have to switch to flying. I'll be bringing my 77 year old stepfather, so that's a consideration. The main thing is we want to see a lot of ducks - the last few years in NC have been pretty sparse.

I would love it if there was a "Duckboats.net" guide that I could book with but I'm looking for any recommendations from those that know the area or have been there themselves.

I'm totally open to "don't go to Arkansas, try Louisiana or xxx". I've been to Canada and that was fun but I'd ideally stay in the states and within a decent drive from NC.

I've received some spectacular trip planning advice here over the years, but I've also been an active contributing member for decades.

A couple thoughts in relation to your request.... First this is a duckboat forum, their bread and butter is freelancing themselves with their own gear, I'm sure there is a better place to find guys that prefer the style of hunt you are looking for.

The era of finding good hunts on an internet forum, IMO, has come to a close. People don't even want to blow up guides (let alone freelancing spots) due to pressure. People are seeing that naming a guide results in their favorite lodges becoming overbooked and they can't get back in.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

If I ever paid for a guide service, I wouldn't mind trying to run with Tony Vandermore and hunt habitat flats. Otherwise, I refuse to pay to hunt. Good luck with trying to get this figured out sir. Arkansas would be fun for sure. I would try and plan it around Worlds so you could enjoy all the vendors and the party there. Instead of going to just the ducks, might as well go to the ducks and party.

Thanks for the replies. Carl/William - I'll check out your recommendations for sure.

Tod - I hear you, I've almost exclusively freelanced my whole life - wading, canoes, kayaks and jon boats. I moved 13 times in 25 years of Air Force service so I had to learn a new area every 2 years or so. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing how the other half lives for a special treat. I know my "T" over there says new member but I've been around since Eric built the scaup and started this site, so I knew there would be well-thought-out replies and not just flippant responses.

Thanks for the replies. Carl/William - I'll check out your recommendations for sure.

Tod - I hear you, I've almost exclusively freelanced my whole life - wading, canoes, kayaks and jon boats. I moved 13 times in 25 years of Air Force service so I had to learn a new area every 2 years or so. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing how the other half lives for a special treat. I know my "T" over there says new member but I've been around since Eric built the scaup and started this site, so I knew there would be well-thought-out replies and not just flippant responses.
Your "T" is for Tony.

The argument you are making is that you have been here 20 years, yet not contributed to the community here. I'm encouraging you to jump in and join the community.

Last edited:
Your "T" is for Tony.

The argument you are making is that you have been here 20 years, yet not contributed to the community here. I'm encouraging you to jump in and join the community.
That's true and now that I'm retired, I'm trying to engage more on the sites I frequent. 25 years of COMSEC is hard to overcome. I may be the champion of the lurkers here, but I'll try to do better.

I do an annual guided trip to Canada with my 78 yr old dad and an annual guided trip to Arkansas/Missouri area with my buddies.

My buddies and I are scraping the bootheel region hunt this year simply due to all the hunters. Unfortunately many guides who now have many hunters lease many areas and competition between even the guides spots among the guides clients frankly sucks. We have decided to move on and try a guided hunt in Oklahoma to maybe get away from some of the bootheel chaos. Plus, my nephew(not a hunter) got a job out there so we plan to visit with him some while we are out there.

My guided hunt in Canada has always been top notch!!

Back