Here a unique bird shot in MN

I'm not sure on the range Mark, I have seen them outside the breakwall at Grand Marais a couple of times - in June! Also once a bit further south at Tettegouche state park. Was it taken on Lake Superior, or further inland?

Yes it is an Old Squaw.. But unfortunately you now have to be politically correct and call them Long Tail Ducks...
Beautiful bird

Congrats! That's a really nice looking bird. It's getting less and less unusual to get them here in Michigan. Old Squaw are pretty common on the open waters of the Great Lakes these days, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them on other large northern lakes. They say that the zebra and quagga mussels are a favorite food of the "sea sprigs" (as my Granddad used to call them), and Lord knows we've got a lot of zebra mussels around.

Last edited:
Four hours north of the Twin Cities should have had you almost talking to a Canadian border official. Great looking Longtail.
Al

Bird was taken near Brainard which makes it strager yet. The pic was posted on an ice fishing forum where I read about it. The bird wasn't taken bby me for the record.

Mark W

Back