Hey Charlie.....

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
I hope these can serve as an inspiration to get going. Pick a species, draw up some patterns and go to it...

This is part of what I had in my late season rotation this year and need to get put away. I sort of ran out of room on the bow of the boat for all of them, but you get the idea. Couple widgeon in there are from the second rig I carved (first was teal), drake mallards are 12 years old, black ducks are from 10 or so years ago and brant are similar vintage, hen mallards are several years back.

c1.jpg

Brant alone, I carved a dozen of these and traded a bunch away. These are big - 6" cork and wide. A few brant have died over these birds.

c3.jpg

You have to be careful with your fancy hand carved birds since they are so fragile. Paint scheme was a test of how simply can I paint and still have them look at 20 yards. They work on birds.

c4.jpg

My plan was that these were fillers until I could carve another dozen, but now I wouldn't shoot brant on my home grounds without them. They look great on the water and you can set them tight to look like a feeding flock. I keep saying I need another dozen full bodies, but what is the point.

These are the only decoys I've ever done from someone else's patterns - they are Grayson's heads from his book adn my bodies to match my full bodies.

c2.jpg

Very cool, I like the open mouth hen; is the brant also an open mouth, or did a piece come off? Nice rig.

Tod,

I love your rig! I have never seen some or maybe I just forgot but would love to see more pics if you have them...maybe of a wigeon or two?

Thanks for the shots, inspiration indeed

Zach

Very cool, I like the open mouth hen; is the brant also an open mouth, or did a piece come off? Nice rig.

I Jack, I got your PM sorry. I been off the forum taking a break after my activities the other day.

Thanks, I was shooting for a that bitchy hen that quacks all morining one pothole over. The brant bill is broken. It is one of those weird things, it is carved with the grain as proper, but it keeps breaking as I fix it. I glued and screwed it with the origional piece and it broke again.

Tod,

I love your rig! I have never seen some or maybe I just forgot but would love to see more pics if you have them...maybe of a wigeon or two?

Thanks for the shots, inspiration indeed

Zach

Zach, I don't have any of the wigeon. I carved them when I was back in WI and didn't use them here for several years, but I've been throwing one or two in the bag for late season the past couple years. We don't get many widgeon, but a few.

I hope whomever got those brant of yours appreciates them.

T

Todd, Thank you,.....Not only is your boat "first class" but I see your decoys are too...!!!! Nothing but inspiration there, for sure. I agree with Jode. I too, love the look of a well used and carved rig

Decisions, decisions, decisions,.......I am not sure........ , I was thinking
about starting out with a couple of black ducks. Mostly because I am a little afraid of the painting part and would like to be able to hunt my first blocks and not sit there and feel sorry for them.:):)

Great looking working decoys. Looks like they have a lot of stories written into them as well.

about starting out with a couple of black ducks. Mostly because I am a little afraid of the painting part and would like to be able to hunt my first blocks and not sit there and feel sorry for them.:):)

Blacks will work. Buffies, if you shoot them, would be a good one, you could have a whole rig if you carve three and easy to paint.

Good stuff shooting over your own rig out of your own boat.

Blacks will work. Buffies, if you shoot them, would be a good one, you could have a whole rig if you carve three and easy to paint.

Good stuff shooting over your own rig out of your own boat.

Todd..The "whole package" has truly become a passion for me.!!

I like the rig also, particularly the brant.

Thanks John, I've enjoyed seeing all the great stuff that "you guys" have brought to the page too. A lot of fun to have a lot of active carvers back on here (not to diminish those that have stuck with us all these years too).

T

I second that...sleds are cool. I made these scoters last fall but didn't get to float them this season. Looks like your brant sleds have gotten some use.

Thanks Bod adn Todd on the sleds. I'm really attached to that set of sleds, they have worked hard for me over the years.

Back