Hitch/receiver question

While trailering my boat, it rattles and bangs around terribly with the receiver. I am thinking about purchasing an anti hitch rattle device. Has anyone found them to be useful? I have also though about some type of wedge to place in between the hitch and receiver. Any have better suggestions? Thanks

my little boat does that because there isnt enough toungue weight, im going to add some lead to the front of the trailer to weigh it down.

This is going to sound foolish, but is the ball the right size for the receiver? It could be that you've got a 1 7/8 ball for a 2-inch receiver or 2-inch ball for a larger receiver...I imagine you've checked that already; however, it could be the case.

If the receiver assembly itself is loose, then it also could just be a matter of putting it on the rack and tightening all bolts.

Chris,

I just did a quick google search and came up with this anti rattle device. I have the access and knowledge to build one like this myself as I work in a tool shop. That said, for the thirty dollar asking price, personally I'd just buy it and not waste my time making one.

This was addressed on another board that I frequent as well. I have and have had a similar issue with my receiver. The rattling comes from the fit between the draw bar and the receiver. This fit is sloppy to assure that when a draw bar is left in the receiver of the hitch assembly, it does not rust together. While it is noisy and drivces me crazy, I accept the fact that I won't have one rust tight and not be able to be removed.

By all means check to make sure that the ball and tongue are both sized correctly. Quick to check and a major safety issue.

I was planning on making up some type of plastic wedge that could be pressed, by hand, into the gap between the draw bar and the receiver.

Hope this helps.

It's a 2" ball which fits the trailer. I have also adjusted the spring to make the ball fit a little tighter. There is plenty of play between the receiver and hitch which is Where I am thinking the problem is. I don't leave the receiver in unless aim towing. maybe it's something I will have to live with. If my tax dollars only went to better repaired roads that would help a lot. Thanks for your opinions.

It's a 2" ball which fits the trailer. I have also adjusted the spring to make the ball fit a little tighter. There is plenty of play between the receiver and hitch which is Where I am thinking the problem is. I don't leave the receiver in unless aim towing. maybe it's something I will have to live with. If my tax dollars only went to better repaired roads that would help a lot. Thanks for your opinions.

The anti-rattle hitch pin would work well in that case. The nut is spring loaded to keep it in place, you slide it into the ball mount. All you do is insert and tighten the pin, which is threaded.

Mr. Cheapskate here:

Is there clearance for a layer of duct tape on bottom of your draw bar? How about a coating of "Dip-it"?

Back