Home now, very sore, but encouraged...

Scott O.

Got to Henry Ford Hospital at 6am yesterday, and experienced the most amazing display of skill and professionalism that I have ever seen, anywhere, in any experience in my lifetime. Met afterward this morning with Dr. Menon, the surgeon who performed the procedure and he smiled, patted my shoulder and said we should be very encouraged. Pathology report comes back next week. The robotic process that he pioneered is so sophisticated, its hard to explain. People literally were there from all over the world specifically to have this surgery performed by him

I know it is totally NDR but I will attempt to share a glimpse of it here I am only showing this here for those who share the same curiosity that I have for all things technical...and possibly by anyone who might be in the same situation as me. I am still in total awe that human beings can be so intelligent, imaginative and brave enough to turn their ideas into action this way.

http://drmanimenon.com/ (you can "skip the intro" in the lower right corner) Check out the tabs for "Dr. Menon" as well as "Robotic Surgery"

Still fuzzy from the anesthetic and other drugs I think so I will stop now and look in over the weekend.

Thanks again guys for your much appreciated support and encouragement...it has helped both Lisa and I immensely to have our friends' thoughts, far and near

Scott
Thanks for sharing that video. That looks more invasive than going thru the penis but certaintly gives a wider surgical field if there would be metastasis. What side affects do they indicate for that procedures and what's the rehab time frame if you don't mind sharing.
wis boz

Scott, glad to hear that you are back at home. You really do have "The Best" in having Dr. Menon. His reputation here in St. Louis, Barnes Hospital BJC Center, and Washington University School of Medicine is outstanding, and you are in excellent hands. Take care, and you and your family will always be in our thoughts and prayers. Gene, Loretta, and Todd.

If the Doc had really thought it was a fast growing Cancer, he would have put a rush job on the pathologist and would have removed the prostate immediately. My urologist tells me that "everyman will have prostate issues if he lives long enough".

Prayers sent your way,
Harry

Scott, my dad had is prostate removed 2 years ago due to cancer. He had some follow-up radiation treatments to get rid of some remmants of cancer, but today he is doing fine and his PSA levels are back to what they were before he had the cancer. You should do fine. Just stay positive and get healthy again. I'm glad the surgery went well. The robotic procedure sounds interesting.

Take care of yourself. Just take it easy.

Best,
Nate

I work in a pathology lab in the afternoons. I received a wealth of information over the past few years. The patholigist that I work with are very knowledgeable.

We seem to do a lot of prostate biopsies. They charge somewhere north of 5 grand for one of these. We will get as many as 13 containers per case depending on the number of specimens taken. Very rarely will the do a radical and remove the whole prostate. Most get the "seeding"

One thing that I've learned.

The older that you are when you have prostate cancer the better your chances are of survival. The younger that you are...outlook not so good. Scott...hope you're older. I am posting this to help inform others that they should get theirs checked, not trying to scare anyone or seem morbid.

Reason being. It appears that the cancer in younger individuals is much more aggressive. This may be because of the friction that the prostate is under in younger individuals due to ejaculation as well as hormone levels. We had a father son case of prostate cancer and the father out lived the son. Surprised that you're waiting a week for the path report. We get them out the next day. 48 hours in complicated cases (usually colon cancer)

Hope everything comes back positive for you....

Scott,

Best wishes on your recovery. I had my prostate removed (cancer) this past Sept 14. (ruined most of duck season) and I can tell you from experience that it takes about 4 weeks to get back on your feet and functioning normally. The urine dribble took me about 3 months to get rid of (mostly). Finniest thing that happened to me was in Nov-Dec - every time a blew into a duck call, i squirted. LMAO.

The Da Vinci robot is a medical marvel that has made this surgery go from one of the worst to a more manageable procedure. Post surgery my PSA was almost zero - next test is Friday and I'm staying optimistic. Feel free to contact me if you have concerns - my biggest problem was the catheter being in for 10 days after hospital release. Keep your chin up and stay positive. I for one firmly believe in the power of positive thinking. I'll be 62 next week and have plans to be a pain in the ass on this site until I'm 82.

The biggest factor is that you I and many others have made the commitment to have PSA tests to catch it early. You guys 50 and over, have PSA tests done annually - the life you save may be your own.

Prayers to you Scott.

Bill (wjmcq@comcast.net)

Well I hope I am old enough to fit in the right category Mike. You really have a way of puttin' it :)

Every day is better guys...just hoping it keeps moving in that direction. Thanks again

Back