House Boat Project

Paul Strombeck

After reading Zack Taylors book years ago I was always intrigued by the concept of a cabin jon boat and the ability simply stay in the marsh. With my retirement coming up March 1st I figured its time to get started. I was unable to find a commercial jon boat hull I settled on an old 24' deck boat hull and was able to pick it up for basically the cost of the trailer.
View attachment House Boat #1.jpg
Here's the question for the brain trust. I will be taking off the old 115 hp outboard and going smaller. I think a 50 hp would push this no problem but will probably look for a 65 hp.
Thoughts on outboard size?
BTW the boat is rated for 12 passenger or 3000 lb's. The cabin weight is currently at 850 lbs.

Last edited:
I can't help on your question, but I have to say, I always thought it would be so awesome to spend the night on a boat like that and get up and hunt the next day while using it as a nearby, floating basecamp.

As far as I can see, it sure looks good from here!

Good luck and keep us updated as you go!

Jon

That is a great setup!!! Why go with a smaller outboard tho? You might want a few extra ponies to get that rig on plane.

I run a 24' Seaark with an old 140 hp Evinrude looper engine and I've been glad to have had the extra horses when toting a load, especially when pushing 2000-3000 lbs upriver.

The issue I see down the road is, with that much cabin area exposed to the wind, two things will be advantageous: 1.) Trim tabs 2.)A large enough HP outboard to keep the boat under control in a cross-wind. I suspect a pontoon boat would have served you better as a base hull.

Paul, I would suggest you at least consider a higher end power (within structural limits of the original hull and as modified of course). Remember, power does not simply equate to speed. As others mentioned it may give you the necessary control... and even torque at slower speeds if pulling a rig or disabled vessel behind you. Trading down in HP may lessen weight to some degree, but then there is 2 vs 4 stroke discussion. Considering a higher end HP, you may gain additional weight, but will hopefully not be on a position to "need" additional power to safely operate. Best of luck with your decision making!

It's actually a planning cat / pontoon style hull constructed to pull skiers etc. It came with a 115 and I really want to shed some weight. Additionally I want to restrict the speed to 15 - 20 mph as I don't want to be flexing the hull or the cabin. I have weighed every piece of material so far and as noted previously I a, at 850 lbs. Boat is rated for 3000 lbs. or 12 passengers.
Going to frame up an enclosed head - add base cabinet with small sink and cook top, bunks and a little stove complete with a Charlie Noble.
I'll get some more pics up as work progresses

Last edited:
Cool project.
How far do you think you might be traveling on the marsh or in the lakes with it?
Any idea what speed the boat would plane at in its original configuration?
850 pounds really is minimal weight given the capacity, that's equal to 4 people and a large cooler in the boat's original configuration. Even though you may need to pick your days when crossing some bigger water due to the wind and sail area, and the boat is probably more top heavy now so it would rock a bit farther. But if you have some reasonably protected waterways and back channels to get where you are going, a 50 or 60 with a low enough pitch prop would probably get you there alright. A lot of times the 75 hp have nearly the torque of the 90s as they are often built on the same block (Yamaha, is or was, anyway) and have substantially more torque than the 40/50/60 hp models do, and at much lower RPMs for better response.

I too have dreamed for decades about Zack Taylor's cabin johnboat as described in his 1974 book, Successful Waterfowling. I wonder how many others have dreamed and built and used it.

Bob

I have thought about it since reading the book a couple of years ago. Like Paul, I think it would be a cool thing in retirement. Or just a little later in life when the kids are grown. My son could come back and visit me in the marsh during duck season. Perhaps even bring his son at that time.

It sure would be cool to spend some overnights out in the marsh like Zack wrote about. And he was from NJ if I recall correctly.

Chad A

What a very cool idea and project! Depending on the year of mfg of that 115 motor, you may well be able to achieve the performance you want with a smaller 2 stroke, like an ETEC 90 or something of the sort.

Make sure you have a way/place to tie off a duck boat or 2 for visitors. Just think, a mobile duck hunting marina/duck club.

John

If I recall correctly (don't have the book close at hand) Zack recommended a 18-foot johnboat commercial hull. Always wondered if there was a source for a used one?

Did you have that down by Pool 9 in November? I buzzed by a houseboat that looked a lot like that.... Between the state landing and the Power plant in the channel.

Actually had it up on Pool 4 in October. the boat is modeled after the old Hydrodyne Houseboats which look almost identical.

Back